Chapter 16: Plans for the Tenth Meeting

6:32 Sui-chan: Hey Mikochi

6:32 Mikochi: Sui-chan, what’s up?

6:34 Sui-chan: I just wanted to say thank you again

Sui-chan: That, and I wanted to tell you that I’ll still be in your care moving forward

Sui-chan: So, yeah. Thank you

6:35 Mikochi: It’s not a problem, Sui-chan! I just want you to take care of yourself. If I can help, then that’s more than enough for me~

6:38 Sui-chan: You’re more help than you realize

Miko felt her cheeks flare up as she reread the strain of texts for the fifth time since the last text had been received. Her legs flopped against the bed as she kicked them up and down. What was she, a high schooler?

She quickly typed in her response before her embarrassment got her to decide otherwise.

6:45 Mikochi: You can rely on me as much as you need

Her heart full, Miko decided it was a better time than any to start her day.

***

As the day progressed, she received texts on occasion. It was nice to see Suisei in better spirits.

10:15 Sui-chan: I saw a really cute toddler today! They reminded me of the way you talk, nye~

"Hey!" Miko audibly shouted. It took her a moment to get over her initial outburst to realize that thankfully nobody was around. Today was a slow day, after all. Irritated, she turned to her phone.

10:23 Mikochi: I don’t talk like that, you take that back!

10:24 Sui-chan: Make me, nye!

Miko found herself shaking her head, a dumb smile on her face. At least Suisei was bantering again. It tore her heart apart seeing Suisei so defeated yesterday…

10:24 Mikochi: Make sure you text me if you need anything

10:25 Sui-chan: Sure thing mom o7

The shrine maiden could only laugh as she set her phone down against the stand.

***

5:45 Sui-chan: Hey, so I was thinking

Sui-chan: We should go to the arcade sometime. It’ll be my treat

Miko blinked owlishly. ‘Did… Suisei just invite me out? On a date? Again?!’ She shook her head, rereading the two messages over and over again. ‘She did!’ Her face burned as she quickly typed out a response, but her fingers stopped. With urgency, she deleted the text. Her heart wasn't ready for this yet. It was like they were a couple planning a date!

…Was that what they already were?

'Heck no! Think with your head, Sakura! Suisei is your client! Cli-ent!' If she didn't have enough willpower, she would have let her head slam against the wooden stand several times by now. She decided she’d push those thoughts aside until they figured out Suisei’s problems.