Chapter 6: The Fifth Meeting, and an Understanding

Smiles were fairly common on peoples' faces nowadays. It was a blessing that Miko had been overlooking while fretting about Suisei. The shrine maiden noticed that many of the people she helped shone like the sun whenever they left. It made her heart full.

Three days had passed since receiving Suisei's letter. They were calm. The sun kissed the ground as the wind carted its gentle fingers through the blades of grass and the leaves in the trees. Two days ago, a gentle shower quenched the thirst of the plants, and the air was less sticky as a result.

Miko strolled along the cobblestone path to the torii gate. The grass sparkled in the morning light with droplets of freshly lain dew. On a whim, Miko bent down and ran her hand across the top of the ground, giggling as the tendrils tickled her palm. She waved her hand free of the water, continuing on her short trek. Waiting for her was a sight that made her move faster toward the gate.

Hoshimachi Suisei's silhouette, one that Miko recognized instantly, was standing in front of the closed/open sign. Miko noted a tired but honest smile on the bluenette's face. The comet held her arms behind her head, almost reclining against the air. She sighed, a blatantly false one if anything.

"Haaahhhhh, sure is a shame that the shrine is closed. And here I made sure to be here extra-early to ask for help. I guess I'll have to come back another time~" Miko tried to bite back the giggle that the sing-song voice brewed in her.

"Yeah, yeah, and if I tell you to leave you'll just keep standing there like a lost puppy all day." The arms came out from behind her head, and her shoulders suddenly perked up.

"Oi. Them's fightin' words. You wanna tussle, tiny lady?" Suisei began throwing air punches, making an utter fool out of herself. It was endearing in the way that a friend would try to make you laugh on a sad day. Miko shook her head, a smile carved onto her face.

"Move it or lose it. I gotta flip the sign before you can come in." Miko shooed the taller woman away from the sign, flipping it from "closed" to "open" with the practiced ease of an expert. She then looked up at her guest. "Well, come along if you're in such a hurry."

The two walked side-by-side in silence. It wasn't anything awkward; no, it was a silence that told them it was only the two of them. After some time, Suisei began whistling a tune. It was pretty. Miko hadn't heard it before.

They took their seats: Miko behind the stand and Suisei in front. Here, Miko finally got a good look into the comet's eyes.

It was still dark behind the colors shining inside, but her eyes glowed with a revitalized spirit. The blues in them could drown the ocean and the stars in them could blind the sun. It was wonderful seeing the life breathed back into them. Miko much preferred this look than that of the glazed, half-dead Suisei from nearly two weeks ago.

"So, you've gotten yourself a job," Miko stated after clearing her throat. Suisei clapped her hands, mocking the shrine maiden as though she were a kindergartener.

"Woooow, you can read! Well done! I should've brought a gold star with me. Maybe that cutesy voice is more telling of your age than I thought it was."

"Oi, don't push your luck here, Hoshimachi-san." The name drop got Suisei to shut up. A smirk tugged Miko's lips up. "Be gracious that the elegant, elite shrine maiden Sakura Miko has lent you her ear." Suisei waved her hand nonchalantly.

"Pshh. Yeah, yeah. Whatever you say. Anyway, yes. I got a job. I finally covered enough shifts to make up for the lost money being unemployed for those few days."