make it right

----------------------------------

i never get to see you anymore, dk! i feel like we're drifting apart!" i yell.

"i spend every free moment i have with you y/n! i don't know what else you want me to do! this is my job!" he yells back, throwing his arms up in frustration.

"thats not even true. you spend more than half your days with your other friends, 2 of them who i know damn well have a crush on you, and i'm starting to think you like the idea of that"

he scoffs "oh now you're just being dramatic".

this only makes me more angry. "so i'm just not important then? i'm just always going to be the second and third choice?"

"if you keep acting like this, maybe!" he yells.

"if you don't care about me then just leave!" i scream, having had enough. i cross my arms tightly, waiting for his response.

"you're not perfect either, y/n" he says stubbornly. wow, what a nice answer.

i stomp away, opening the front door and slamming it hard on the way out. i walk out into the cold, dark night, fuming.

--------------------------------

Y/N POV:

the fight was almost 2 hours ago now, and i've been out in the cold since. i didn't even grab a jacket when i left, there was no time as i was blinded by my anger. its the dead of winter, and everywhere is closed as its almost 1 AM now. i'm sitting on a park bench, shaking and trying to hug myself for warmth.

my phone buzzes for the hundredth time, another call from dk that i'm letting go to voicemail. i don't want to talk to him still. after the call stops ringing i feel a buzz from a text.

baby, please just answer. where are you? its freezing out there.

i chuckle to myself, like he would care about that. he's been so distant lately i swear sometimes he doesn't even notice me. we used to be perfect, i don't know what happened. i miss the old him. i put my feet up on the bench and hug my knees. i guess ill have to get cozy. i don't really have anywhere to go, and i sure as hell don't want to talk to anyone about this. looks like this is my home for the night. lovely. i close my eyes, hoping the world will just escape and everything will stop.

"y/n? y/n!!" i hear in my sleep. i must be dreaming. i groggily open my eyes and see dk running towards me. he's in clear distress. he's bundle up in a puffer jacket and a beanie, and still looks freezing. he's carrying something in his hand and i notice its my jacket that i left there when i ran out.

"jesus, i've been driving around the whole city all night trying to find you. i was worried to death. you could have seriously been in danger" he rambles on, reaching the bench.

still in my half asleep state, i turn my body to the side, mumbling a "go away, i don't want to talk to you".

i hear him sigh, and feel him sit down on the other side of the bench.

"please put this on, you're going to get sick" he says, placing the jacket in my lap. i don't want him to take it as a victory, but i slide it on given the fact that i am absolutely frigid. neither of us speak, but i know he's still sitting there beside me.

"i'm really sorry, baby. i shouldn't have said those things to you. i regretted it the second you walked out the door." he says sadly, his tone serious.

i don't know what to say back, i don't say anything. i still don't turn around.

"you were right. i haven't been spending enough time with you. you are and always should be my first priority, and i haven't been showing that" he says.

i move a little in my curled up position, showing that i'm listening. he continues,

"you are the best thing in my life. i am always grateful for you. a bunch of shit has been happening at work, and instead of dealing with it i shut you out like the asshole i am. thats not an excuse, it doesn't even come close. and i'm not trying to give an excuse, i just think you deserve to hear the truth".

i shiver, feeling a cold breeze rush over me.

"i haven't been myself without you, baby. i missed you all the time, but i couldn't face you. i thought i would just bring you down. i know now how stupid that is, and i know thats not what a relationship is based on. i'm sorry, i've never had anything as amazing as you. i'm scared i'm going to screw it up everyday" he says, i hear his voice crack at the end.

"please, baby, just look at me" he croaks, and i know he is crying.

i slowly turn around, unraveling myself from my arms. i meet his eyes, and he looks like he's been through hell. tears are rolling down his face, and his face is red from the cold and the wind. he looks as though he's begging, begging for me to do something, say something.

"i felt like you never wanted to be around me. you would hang out with everyone else before me. i thought you hated me" i say, almost in a whisper, not wanting to start another fight. i wouldn't be able to handle it.

he looks down, clear sadness written all over his face. "i'm so fucking stupid. i don't hate you, baby. god i don't even think thats possible" he laughs through the tears. "i wanted to be with you every day. by the time i was done with the days schedule i was a disaster. i was making everyone grumpy, i was unbearable to be with. i didn't want to bring that home to you. i didn't want to take anything out on you, because you were the only light. i can obviously see now that that was a stupid idea, because this only hurt you more."

i listen to his words, and i truly do understand him. i'm not mad anymore, i just feel heartbroken at his feelings.

"i understand if you want to leave me. you deserve to be treated like a princess, and i haven't been giving you that" he says, as he stands up and gets ready to walk away.

i quickly grab his hand, pulling him back to the bench. he looks back at me, waiting for me to speak.

"i'm not breaking up with you, baby. that's the last thing i want" i say, making him sit down.

"i just want you to be able to bring those bad days home with you. that's what i'm here for. i'm here for the tough nights and the tears and the frustration. i don't want you to go through those things alone" i say honestly, just wanting him to know he can confide in me. all my anger has washed away, and i just want him to be okay.

"thank you, y/n. i love you more than you'll ever know. i'll be better, okay? i promise i'll make it right." he says, crying lightly again. he throws his arms around me, hugging me tighter than we ever have before. i feel safe in his warmth, like the cold can't hurt me anymore. i tel him i love him too, and i'm always here for him. i want to shout it from the rooftops.

"baby, you're shaking. we have to get you inside." he says, clearly concerned. i nod and sniffle, shaking in his arms. he takes off his beanie and puts it on my head. he cups my face and looks at me for a couple seconds, just taking me in. he places a kiss on my forehead, smiling softly at me.

"please don't ever leave like that again" he says, wrapping his arm around me and leading me to the car.

"i won't, i promise. i'm never leaving again" i say, looking up at him. i stop walking and face him. he stops, looking at me. i stand up on my tippy toes and kiss his lips, finding safety in him. he smiles into the kiss like a dork, and i smile back. i feel something wet hit my cheek, and i pull back from the kiss. soft snowflakes are falling all around us. we both look at each other and laugh at how incredibly cheesy this is. i stick my tongue out and catch one, suddenly forgetting all about the night i had.