𝑪𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝑽𝑰

After the brooch was sent over to the jewels and artifacts specialist, it was confirmed that the brooch was indeed the actual one from the museum. Soon after, the old lady was finished being interrogated, and she was brought out.

"Does this brooch remind you of anything?" One of the Gardes asked.

"Oh my! Where did you find that?" She asked, attempting to grab it from him.

"Not so fast. Please explain what this was doing in your possession?" The Garde asked, all the spectators eyes on her. She retrieved a vial from her pocket and consumed its contents in one gulp. A sly smile crossed her lips before she inexplicably transformed into a puddle.

"S-She just dissolved!" One of the Gardes yelled, very shocked and terrified.

"All present, please submit yourselves for inspection." Neuvillette commanded, and after a while, nothing was found on the scene apart from the liquid left behind after the elderly lady dissolved.

"Now then, Lady Furina, do you have any more claims against the defence's statements?" Neuvillette asked.

"I... Um..." Furina stuttered, slowly shuffling away from the spotlight.

"Please answer the question, Lady Furina. Also, if I may add, the trial has not yet ended. As such, I request that the prosecution not leave the room before the proceedings have concluded." Neuvillette glanced over at you to see how you were doing.

"Ugh! What, are you reading my mind now!?" She sighed in frustration. "No, I have no further arguments. I admit defeat. But really, could you at least have left me with some dignity?"

"If there are no objections, then as the Chief Justice of Fontaine, I conclude that Countess Y/n is declared innocent for the thievery of the brooch. While there is much in this case that should still be investigated separately, this case, at least, can be handed over to the Oratrice to make the final decision." The oratrice's last light lit up, and the scale tipped towards you. A ticket is inserted into the Oratrice and it sends off a burst of light, then a ticket is ejected from the Oratrice. Neuvillette pulled the ticket out and read it.

"As such, Countess Y/n is officially declared 'Not Guilty'!" You let out a huge sigh of relief while Navia hugged you tightly.

"Furina stood no chance against us!" She grinned. "C'mon, I'll treat you to macarons!"

"Everyone except for Countess Y/n may begin to leave in an orderly fashion." Neuvillette announced. Although Navia was a bit sad that you couldn't leave just yet, she was secretly glad that her ship was sailing.

"Have fun!" She teased, leaving the stands with Melus and Silver. You left the stands as well, and waited until everyone left. You approached Neuvillette, and he smiled at you.

"I knew from the start that you were innocent, Y/n. I was glad that my intuition was in fact correct." He began. "Now to celebrate this momentous occasion, I have a small favour to ask of you."

"What is it Neuvillette?" You asked, your eyes locking into his.

"I-I would like you to have dinner with me." His grip on his cane hardened again, while you on the other hand, were shocked. Was this his attempt of asking you out on a date?

"And it would be my pleasure to." You smiled. You noticed that his breathing had calmed down, and for some reason, it wasn't cloudy anymore and you could clearly see the sun begin to set.

"Thank you. My office, 7pm. Don't be late darling." He swiftly left, and you covered your blushing face as he walked past you.

"Did he just call me darling?" You internally screamed. You quickly left the Opera Epliclese and found Navia waiting outside.