𝑪𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝑰𝑰

"So, I have an alibi. I was with you, Melus and Silver doing some official duties for Spina di Rosula." You showed her your receipts and photos in the kamera. You and Navia were taking a stroll around the court of Fontaine to put your mind at ease.

"But the theft happened at approximately 4 pm." Navia muttered. "Let's see if we can get some of the museum footage." While you were walking with Navia, Melus and Silvekept looking through the receipts, you found some tickets that were from that day.

"Look, these tickets allow entry from 3pm to 5pm. I can use this to..." You trailed off, reading what the tickets were for.

"What, lemme see." You handed Navia the tickets and she sighed.

"Excellent... They just had to be the tickets to the museum." She sighed.

"Well what do we do? I'm too young to go to the Fortress of Meropide." You groaned. "Do you think I have a chance against Clorinde?"

"I hate to break it to you, but you don't have a vision sweetie. You can barely cut your croissant properly without either cutting yourself first, or making a mess." Navia sweetly smiled. You sighed and ran your fingers through your hair.

"How about we visit Monsieur Neuvillette?" Melus suggested as we walked past Palais Mermonia.

"He's the judge for my case, isn't this a bad idea?" You whispered, your eyes darting from the door and back to Navia.

"But he's very just, he's not going to judge you for a bad experience with you." Navia began heading inside, dragging you, Melus and Silver along. You entered into Palais Mermonia, the quiet chatter amongst the workers filling your ears and the sight of melusines marching around.

"Hey! Stop right there!" A Melusine ordered. She turned around and faced you. "State your business. The Chief Justice is presently occupied with official matters."

"Don't you recognise us? My friend over there is the defendant for the case tomorrow, and I'm her attorney. We're here to submit our evidence to him." Navia asserted.

"Huh? Is that even a thing... Don't you just submit it to the Gardes?" The melusine asked, furrowing her brows.

"Of course! Since this is of high national threat, we have to submit to him. Don't worry, we're here on official business. You can trust us." Navia smiled sweetly. The Melusine seemed to fall for her lie, although looking a bit uncertain.

"Alright, then I'll let you through. The Chief Justice is just inside." She pointed to the door, marching away.

"Thanks so much!" Navia grinned. You went up to the door with her and knocked 3 times.

"High national threat? Seriously?" You let out a quiet laugh, while Navia just grinned.

"Please come in." You heard a stone cold voice say from inside. You opened the doors, expecting Navia to follow suit, but instead, she gave you a thumbs up and hurriedly closed the doors. You entered and curtsied, the ambient light of the lamp illuminating the document on his desk.

"Oh please. No need for formalities. Please get up." He looked down from his desk. He had his coat off, his white hair falling down his face and his ruffles slightly messed up.

"So, how may I assist you today, Countess Y/n?" He asked.

"Do you have access to the museum footage from a few days ago?" You asked.

"I could apply for a form for access to the footage, but that could take days at best. However, I will send one as soon as possible." He got a new piece of paper and dipped his quill in the ink and began writing, the ink making little splats on the paper as he soon finished and signed it.

"Now, if you don't have anything else, I have other matters to attend to." He put the letter in an envelope and began organising the pile of paperwork on his table.

"Actually, I have one more small favour, Monsieur Neuvillette." He stopped organising and turned his full attention to you.

"Oh? Tell me." He looked at you with such kind and understanding eyes that you were sure you were either hallucinating or delusional. Neuvillette seemed to be so cold, but once you get even a glimpse of who he actually is, he is a whole new person.

"Do you have any files about my parents?" You gulped nervously, not daring to look him in the eye.

"I-uh." He stammered. This was one of the only times that he didn't have anything to say. Nothing really fazed the Chief Justice of Fontaine since he's seen basically everything, but he was unsure what to tell you.

'Human emotions are truly complex.' He thought. 'How should I tell her?'

"I can take a look and see what I can find, Countess Y/n." He stood up from his desk and began looking through the files, finding the last name of l/n. He hesitated to pull them out, but he decided to continue and took out the two files with the names of Mathéo and Nicolette.

"These are your parents. You may take a look at the files, but they must not leave this room." He handed one of the files to you, and put the other one on the couch. "You can sit down if you like." You graciously took the offer and began reading every single detail about your parent's life. Since they stayed out of drama and trouble, there was little known about them. However, one little piece of information stood out to you. There was a bank statement from a few decades ago that your mother made to a shop called Bertin's House of Curiosities, and all it said was-

"Expensive item?" You read. That could mean possibly anything, but whatever it was, it was the only expensive item that your parents have ever purchased.

"Thank you Monsieur Neuvillette." You sighed. You put the papers back into the corresponding files and placed them on his desk.

"Again, one last favour. Can you please write me a warrant to have access to the jeweller's sales from the last 50 years?" You asked, nervously fidgeting with the lace ends of your dress.

"As you wish." As he began writing, he looked up for a second.

"If you don't mind, Countess, may we drop the formalities from now on?" He asked, handing you the warrant and taking the files and getting up from his chair to place the files back.

"Uh, sure?" You tilted your head slightly in confusion.

Why was he asking me this?

Well, I won't disturb you any more, Monsieur- I mean Neuvillette." You stuttered. It felt weird to address him without formalities, but you obliged.

"Goodbye, y/n." He smiled, and you left his office.

✦•······················•✦•······················•✦

That's the end for Chapter 2!