Chapter 5

After saving Simon, they took him to the infirmary and Rae went outside the institute to be alone

After saving Simon, they took him to the infirmary and Rae went outside the institute to be alone. She sat on a bench, took a cigarette and lit it.
She was thinking about how her life had changed, before she was a normal girl who loved music and DJing at the club... now she found out she was a Shadowhunter.
Then she met him, Gray, who made her feel emotions she'd never felt before.
She was so lost in her thoughts that she didn't feel that someone was sitting next to her.

"A penny for your thoughts." Gray said.
"Nothing important, just the drastic change in my life." she replied, sarcastically.
"I get it." Gray said after taking the cigarette from Rae's fingers to put it in his lips, aspired it and threw away the smoke, "How long have you been smoking?"
"Since I started DJing at the club, but it's not a habit, it's more of an outlet when I'm stressed. And you?"
"Since I was 14, now I'm 17."
"Really?"
"Yeah... you know there are other things you can vent with."
"For example? What do you do when you are stressed?"
"Well... I kill demons, it's very liberating."
"I should have known, how stupid I am."
"Hey, you're not stupid. You're a very strong, brave, determined girl. Don't ever say things like that to yourself again, okay?!"
"Okay, fine."

Rae took the cigarette from Gray's lips and took a hit.

"You never told me about yourself... I'd like to know about you." Rae declared.
"There's not much to know about me, I'm an orphaned Shadowhunter who was entrusted to the Lightwoods."
Rae looked at him sadly and said, "I'm sorry, Gray, I shouldn't have asked."
"Don't worry!" he smiled at her.

Rae took another hit and passed it to Gray.

"I just found out that the man I thought was my father... never was."
"We're in the same situation, I never knew my parents."

Rae remained silent for a moment then she got up from the bench and said, "Okay, I better see how Simon's doing, thanks for letting me vent... I'll see you later." she hugged him.
"You're welcome, baby girl... yeah, see you later." he hugged her back.

Clary was walking down the hall to reach the infirmary. Alec, coming from across the hall, stopped her and said, "Clary. Can I talk to you?"
"Yeah. I was just going to go see Simon."
"I want you and your sister to leave here."
"What?" Clary asked, confused.
"You two almost got us killed."
"I'm sorry. We didn't have a choice. We had to save Simon. And Jace..."
"Jace thinks he needs to save the world. But you don't need to encourage him to do it."
"But that's what you guys do."
"Yes! Us, what we do. We're a team. You're dead weights... Mundanes."
"We're not Mundanes! And if you were half as brave as you pretend to be, you'd admit..."
"What?"
"You'd admit that you're in love with Jace. And that's what this is really about!"
He grabbed her by the neck and pushed her to the wall.
"If you ever say anything like that again... I'll kill you."