Chapter 3

After exiting the tram, they crossed the street and stopped in front of an old building that looked like a castle

"We'll be safe in here." Jace affirmed.
"What is this dump?" Simon said.
"This isn't a dump. You just can't see it." Clary added.

They walked into the building and Clary started to feel unwell and fell into her sister's arms.
"Oh my God, Clary!" Rae exclaimed.
"What the hell is going on? What are they doing in here?" Alec said as he walked towards them.
"It's a demon bite." Gray added.
"Clary! Jace, do something." Simon said, worried.
"This is the part where you start tearing off... pieces of your shirt to bind my wounds?" Clary said.
"If you wanted me to take my clothes off, you should've just asked." Jace replied and Clary passed out.

They took her to the infirmary and waited for her to wake up. Rae stood by her sister holding her hand. After a while, Clary slowly opened her eyes.
"She's waking up." Simon said.
"Hey big sister, how are you?"
"I'm okay... I guess."
Clary passed a hand on her face and she noticed a tattoo on her arm.
"I passed out and you guys tattooed me? Thought that only happened in Vegas."
"It's not a tattoo." Gray added.
"It's a rune. They have them for everything. They make you invisible, strong, they heal. They also make you visible. That's why I can suddenly see them. Even if you're hungry..." Simon said.
"No. The fact that the rune had an effect on you explains why you can see us." Jace replied.
"I don't get it." Clary added.
"Mundanes can't survive the process. The runes are too strong for them, so... Well, now we definitely know you have Shadowhunter blood."
"Wait. It wasn't definite before?" asked Simon.
"Well, it became definite when she didn't die, yes."
"So Rae has Shadowhunter's blood too?!" Simon added.
"Oh! What a genius!" Gray replied, sarcastically.
Isabelle walked into the infirmary, with clothes in her hands.
"Here. See if these fit. It's not every day we get guests in here. Especially not girls." said Isabelle.
She put the clothes on the bed and Clary changed behind a screen.

"Shouldn't we call the cops? I mean the real ones?" Simon added.
"That's a great idea. I don't know why we haven't thought of that for the past thousand years." Jace answered, sarcastically.
"Hodge is ready for them. He wants to see them alone in the library." Alec said, entering in the room.
"Who's Hodge?" asked Clary.
"He's in charge of the Institute." Gray replied.
"Okay... let's go." Clary concluded.

As they were leaving the infirmary, Gray couldn't take his eyes off Rae. Isabelle gave him a little push with her elbow and teased him.
"You like her, huh? I can tell by the way you look at her." Isabelle said.
"What?"
"Don't play dumb... she's a beautiful girl, anyway, if you don't talk to her, I will."
"Isabelle, stop it now."
She laughed at him.

                                                                                  ➰

Clary, Rae, Jace and Alec walked down the hall of the Institute.
"Hundreds of Shadowhunters used to seek asylum here. But, as you can see, right now we're the only ones. Without the Mortal Cup, we're a dying breed. Either you're born of the Shadowhunter... or you have to drink from the Mortal Cup." Jace explained.
The two sisters stopped to look at a painting of the Angel Raziel.
"You two coming?" Alec said to the sisters. "Pretty far from Brooklyn, isn't it? Stay away from Jace." he said to Clary.