Chapter 16: Grace

Grace

I couldn't believe what I found when I woke up. It was the last thing I was expecting.

"As much as I'd love to kill your sleeping ass for replacing me, I won't." It said. "The next time Blaze wants you to sleep with him, I'm going to slit your throat while you sleep."

It was from Pear. She had been right in front of me as I slept. And she was pissed.

I showered and got dressed in a strange, hypnotized like state. She was mad. Really, extremely mad.

So when I went to the cafeteria and Vanessa asked me why I was now so happy, I just smiled at her.

"You know why." I cheered happily. "Pear is mad."

She looked at me as if I was crazy. Maybe I was. I beat people up for calling me Princess, call a girl only a few years younger than me my daughter, and was smiling when Pear was mad. Yeah, I was probably crazy. Oh well.

"It's a good thing that your friend is mad at you?" She asked, sounding like she didn't believe it.

"Fantastic."

"And why is that?"

I smiled again, this time even bigger, just because I couldn't help it. I was probably scaring her, but I didn't care right now. "Because only Persephone would get so mad, she would make the mistake she did." Vanessa eyed me curiously, waiting for me to elaborate. "She left the note in my journal. And the messengers haven't left yet." Her eyes widened when she put the pieces together. I nodded excitedly. "Yup. She's in this base."

I went back to filling my tray with food, the only thought in my head that I was close to finding Pear. With her mistake, I don't even think I need Vanessa. That was probably a little cocky, but it was true. I know the base was huge, but all I had to do was spy on Vanessa. Since they were in communication, since Pear knew about what Blaze did when he was drunk, I figure if I stick around, I can sneak up her and say "Ha! Found you! Now explain!"

But for now, that will have to wait, I thought as I turned back to Vanessa. Before saying anything, I noticed how her tray was filled with food. More than even Blaze could eat. Seeing that there were pears on her tray just reminded me of what was coming.

"Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to eat with my daughter." I told her and went in search of Becky. I felt bad, because since we got here, I haven't spent a lot of time with her. We weren't even sharing a room. She was rooming with two other girls her age. When I saw them together around the base, laughing, it made me smile. Becky was breaking out of her shell.

---

A few days later, the time came to send out the messengers. They went around collecting people's letters and care packages. When I handed them mine, they simply went to the next person.

The letter I wrote was simple. It read:

Jack,

Don't worry about us. We are all safe at base with Vanessa Adams and her team. Admittedly, she has more of a temper then she led us to believe, but we are dealing with it.

Please tell me everyone is okay. Are the twins safe? Are they with you? What about Allen and Lily? If they are with you, tell them I said hi, I miss them, and not to worry about me.

I miss you too. I really hope we see you soon.

Love,

Grace Walker

P.S. I really need one of those jackets...

Even though she never told me to, I wanted to tell them that Pear said hi. I knew she missed them. But I couldn't. I didn't even tell that that she was alive, and hiding around here somewhere. I needed to find her first, and get some answers.