Chapter 18

Seventeen years slipped by in the blink of an eye. The atmosphere within the castle remained tranquil. The three remaining inhabitants spent their days in a repetitive rhythm, brewing potions, and caring for the bountiful garden of medicinal plants that Wei Ying relied on for his daily tonics. Wen Ning diligently hunted to ensure Wei Ying's strength remained unwavering. Their lives had settled into a quiet routine, a stark contrast to the tumultuous losses they had endured.

One day, as they headed back to the castle after a long day of tending to the medicinal plants, Wei Ying turned to Haikuan with a question that caught him off guard. Wei Ying hadn't broached the topic of wolves since the fateful day they had lost everyone.

"Haikuan, have you ever thought about turning some wolves again?" Wei Ying asked, his voice gentle and contemplative.

"I haven't thought about it for a while. I did it for Master Yibo; it was his decision, not mine," Haikuan replied, his thoughts drifting to their past.

Silence hung between them for a moment, and then Wei Ying spoke again, his radiant smile lighting up his face. "You can do it whenever you want. I know you've grown close to some people in the village. Whatever you decide is fine with me."

"I'll think about it," Haikuan replied before heading inside to prepare his lunch, leaving Wei Ying with his thoughts.

Recently, Wei Ying had revealed his true nature to Yanli.  It was after their father's passing, from old age. Wei Ying had healed him as much as he could, before his powers proved futile and his father's body was just too weak and fragile. At the funeral, he had confided in Yanli, disclosing what he truly was. He had explained how he hadn't aged a day in the past seventeen years, ever since Cao Rulan's birth.

Yanli had held her suspicions but had never pressed him. She didn't want to force him into revealing something he wasn't ready to share. She had promised to think about his offer. It had been weeks since he had seen her, as she and Yuchen were visiting Yuchen's relatives. Wei Ying missed them dearly, especially teaching Rulan the art of hunting with a bow and arrow.

In the evening, Wei Ying entered the study and carefully unveiled his beloved's guqin. He left the seat across from the instrument empty, a poignant reminder of the one who used to sit there. Wei Ying positioned himself beside the guqin, clutching his flute with trembling hands. With deep emotion, he began to play the hauntingly beautiful melody that Lan Zhan had composed especially for him.

As the notes filled the room, Wei Ying could almost envision Lan Zhan sitting beside him, their melodies harmonizing in a perfect duet. Tears trickled down his cheeks, mingling with his music. It had been nearly two decades, and the loneliness gnawed at him, a relentless ache in his heart. He couldn't fathom how Lan Zhan had endured four centuries without him.

Recently, they had embarked on a recurring journey, venturing into nearby villages in search of Lan Zhan's reincarnation. However, every attempt proved fruitless, leaving them disheartened. Haikuan, their dedicated searcher, even ventured further afield, but still, he returned empty-handed. Wei Ying was uncertain when Lan Zhan would return to this world, and the uncertainty weighed heavily on his heart. How long would he have to wait?

The following morning, as the three men tended to the medicinal plants, Haikuan's heightened senses detected an intruder. He furrowed his brow and addressed Wei Ying, "Master Wei Ying, someone has entered the forest."

Wei Ying's eyes darted around the area. "Is it a vampire?" he inquired, then turned to Wen Ning, "Is it her?" Wen Ning concentrated, trying to sense the presence, but he shook his head.

"It's a human," Haikuan confirmed and swiftly transformed to deter the human from coming any closer. Wei Ying continued to work on the plants with Wen Ning, trusting Haikuan to handle the situation.