Chapter 06

Xiao Zhan's curiosity piqued, he leaned in closer, his eyes filled with a mixture of wonder and empathy. "Were you always a vampire?" he asked softly, his voice carrying a hint of vulnerability.

Wang Yibo took a deep breath, his gaze fixed on a distant memory. "No," he replied, his voice tinged with a hint of melancholy. "I wasn't always a vampire. In fact, I was once a strong cultivator, the pride of my clan. I dedicated my life to honing my skills, following the strict principles and traditions of our world. I was disciplined and resolute, believing that by doing everything right, I could protect those I cared about."

Xiao Zhan's curiosity got the better of him, and he couldn't help but ask the burning question. "So, how did you become a vampire?" His voice held a mix of intrigue and apprehension, eager to understand the path that had led Yibo to his current state.

Wang Yibo's gaze turned distant, his thoughts drifting back to a time filled with sorrow and longing. He took a moment to collect his thoughts, the memories of his lost love weighing heavily upon him. With a deep breath, he finally spoke, his voice tinged with a hint of vulnerability. "I willingly chose to become a vampire after Wei Ying's death."

Xiao Zhan's curiosity surged within him, unable to contain the questions that flooded his mind. He looked up at Wang Yibo with a mix of anticipation and confusion, seeking answers that would shed light on the mysteries surrounding Wei Ying's existence. "So, Wei Ying wasn't a vampire then?" he asked.

Wang Yibo let out a weary sigh, his eyes clouded with a tinge of sadness. "Yes, Wei Ying was indeed a vampire before he died," he confirmed, his voice tinged with a hint of melancholy. Xiao Zhan's brows furrowed as he absorbed this revelation, his mind grappling to make sense of the complexities of the supernatural world.

"So, he didn't change you?" Xiao Zhan pressed further, a glimmer of curiosity gleaming in his blind eyes. Wang Yibo shook his head, his gaze fixed on a distant memory. "No, he didn't change me. That's not how I became a vampire," he admitted, his voice carrying a note of vulnerability.

The flood of questions continued to pour forth from Xiao Zhan's lips, his thirst for knowledge unquenched. "Who changed you? How did Wei Ying die?" he inquired, his voice tinged with a mix of concern and intrigue. Wang Yibo's expression darkened momentarily, a flicker of pain crossing his features. "Those are stories for another time," he replied, evading the details that still haunted his thoughts.

Realizing that the conversation had taken its toll, Wang Yibo gently stood up and extended a helping hand to Xiao Zhan. "It's time for you to go to bed," he said, his voice laced with a gentle firmness. Xiao Zhan protested, claiming he wasn't tired, but Wang Yibo insisted, knowing that his own need for rest was imminent. "It's almost morning, and I need to recharge. But tomorrow, after sunset, I promise to take you outside," he assured, a flicker of determination in his eyes.

Xiao Zhan's curiosity couldn't be contained as he continued to voice the tales he had heard about vampires. "Are you not allowed in the sunlight? Can you not stand garlic? Does the sun turn you to ash?" he queried, his voice a mix of innocence and fascination. Wang Yibo smiled softly, realizing the misconceptions that had woven themselves into the fabric of folklore.

"The stories you've heard might have some truth, but they are often exaggerated," he explained, his voice gentle and patient. "While sunlight can be harmful to vampires, it doesn't turn us to ash instantly. As for garlic, it's more of an repugnance than a fatal weakness," he answered hoping to dispel some of the fears and misunderstandings that had plagued Xiao Zhan's mind.

With that, Wang Yibo guided Xiao Zhan back to his bed, assuring him that all would be revealed in due time.

---