Chapter 17

After that melancholic farewell with Wen Qing, she disappeared without causing a scene. The castle settled into an eerie quietness, with only Wei Ying, Liu Haikuan, and Wen Ning remaining within its walls. The nights were the hardest for Wei Ying. He sought solace within Lan Zhan's study or bedroom, clutching his husband's clothes to his nose, desperately trying to capture the fading scent of sandalwood.

Each night, while he was awake and full of newfound power, he grappled with his grief in solitude. The moon would drift across the sky as Wei Ying's quiet sobs echoed through the chamber. Wen Ning and Haikuan, helpless witnesses, ensured that fresh blood, procured from the woods, was left just outside Wei Ying's bedroom. Most mornings, the blood remained untouched, and during his weakened daylight slumber, Wen Ning carefully fed it to him. 

Wei Ying's sleep was tormented by nightmares, where the anguished cries of A-yuan and Lan Zhan's pain-ridden visage haunted him. These dreams were a haunting reminder of the agony he had inadvertently caused. What was even more heartrending was the lack of comfort he once found during such times, like the days they spent at the burial mounds. There, Lan Zhan would set aside their daily tasks to hold Wei Ying in his arms, soothing his nightmares away with gentle embraces.

As the weeks turned into months, Wei Ying, Wen Ning, and Liu Haikuan did their utmost to move forward, each grappling with their individual burdens. Wen Ning, in particular, carried the weight of his sister's departure heavily, yet he stood unwaveringly beside Wei Ying, offering his staunch support. Liu Haikuan, on the other hand, immersed himself in mourning for the lost wolf pack. Most of his time was spent dashing through the woods in his lupine form, a fervent hope kindling in his heart for the day he might hear the distant howls of his pack once more.

Over time, a determined spark ignited within Wei Ying, coaxing him to explore the realms beyond the castle's walls, particularly during the moonlit hours when the night creatures ruled the land. During these ventures, he delved into the world of flora, meticulously identifying each plant, drawing on the knowledge etched in his memories as Xiao Zhan. He skillfully wielded this acquired wisdom to his advantage.

Night after night, he immersed himself in the art of potion-making, concocting various tonics, testing their efficacy, and refining their formulas. As the seasons transformed the landscape around him, Wei Ying was resolute in his pursuit, his nights devoted to perfecting his elixirs.

Finally, after an expanse of time had passed and all four seasons had cycled through, Wei Ying held a small vial containing a potion he had recently created. On an early morning with the sun just beginning its ascent, he decided to put his creation to the ultimate test. Despite the weariness that began to creep into his bones, he ventured outside as the first rays of sunlight painted the horizon.

As the sunlight touched his skin, a sense of anticipation and trepidation lingered. But to his astonishment, his body did not react as it once did. Weakness and vulnerability did not embrace him. He felt the warmth without the torment he had come to expect. Turning to Wen Ning, who stood by his side, ready to intervene if needed, Wei Ying's laughter burst forth, a jubilant sound that echoed his triumph over the sun.

"I've done it! I've found a way to shield myself from the sun!" he exclaimed, his eyes alight with the joy of his achievement. In this moment, Wei Ying's determination had borne fruit, granting him a renewed freedom he had long yearned for.

Basking in the gentle embrace of the sun's warmth on his skin, Wei Ying reveled in the sensation that carried him back to the carefree days of his youth. Memories of idyllic summers at Lotus Pier played before his mind's eye, moments when worries were nonexistent. Invigorated by the newfound freedom from the sun's curse, Wei Ying invited Wen Ning to accompany him on a journey to the village at the forest's edge.