8: Ancient Artefacts

After deciphering more of Slogo's writings, Zud and the others learn that the Pillars of Old Earth used a spell to trap the Shadower in hell—a space between worlds where time stands still. However, in order to imprison him for good, the Pillars had to trap themselves with him. With his knowledge of how Slogo's banishment spell works, Zud believes he can set him and the other Pillars free.

Back at the School of Magic, they figured out from Wisp that he bought Slogo's old journal was from an antique shop, and thought how amazing to think one of the greatest mysteries of Earth was solved with a musty old book from an antique shop. But Wisp wouldn't say the mystery's solved, as Slogo's spell was one of the most powerful feats of magic in all of history. It'll take years of study before they fully understand it. The seven open the door, to see a happy Zud. "I think I understand Slogo's spell!"

The seven of them looked at each other and then Zud with unamused faces. "I know I've finished one of Slogo's spells before, but this one was on a whole different level! Was it an explosion of magical feedback? An evocation? A kind of incantation? It's Slogo, so the possibilities are endless! And once Crainer set me on the right track with his crazy handwriting – I mean, he was a genius, so I guess we can forgive a little messiness – I went through the journal again, and it's amazing!" Zud squealed. "Zud, my man. We understand you're excited, but that's all we understand." Jerome said. "What exactly is so amazing?" Chrissy asks, confused. "Only how Slogo and the other Pillars sent the Shadower to hell!" Zud exclaimed. "They did what now?" Jerome asked. Zud takes out a diorama to explain the situation. "They used their magic and artefacts to open a portal between worlds – to hell – and pulled the Shadower inside." Zud said, then breaking the diorama. "Zud, your diorama!" Kate shrieked at the broken diorama. "No worries, I made more!" Zud exclaimed. There were 14 dioramas sitting on the table, but then they fall to the ground due to a gust of wind. "Slogo thought the only way to trap the Shadower in hell was for the Pillars to take him there." Zud continued. "I suppose being trapped for all time with a super-duper bad guy in hell might be okay if you were doing the limbo, but that's still pushing it." GarryBlox said. "The thing is, I think I can get them out." Zud said.

"Zud, are you serious?" Crainer exclaimed. "You can save the most legendary people of all time?" Crainer added. "I-I don't know. Opening portals between worlds didn't work out well for me. Are you sure it's safe?" Wisp said. "First of all, when you were a psycho and couldn't control yourself, you opened portals through time. And second of all, Slogo wrote the spell you used to do it. If he'd been here, he could have stopped it. Earth would be safer with him in it. We have to save him." Zud stated. "But you'd be saving all the Pillars, right? A-And they disappeared ages ago." Jerome stuttered. "That's the thing about hell. It isn't one place or another. It's in between, so time stands still. If we can pull them out, it'll be like they never left. I actually built another model to demonstrate—" Zud explained until he said about making another model, making Chrissy groan, slamming her head on the table.

"So, what can we do to help?" Mitzefy asked. "If I'm right, we need to find items that are connected to the Pillars in some way." Zud replied. "You mean, like, stuff that belonged to them?" Chrissy asked. "How would we know what to look for? Or where?" Mitzefy added. "Luckily, Slogo took a lot of notes." Zud said. He started to read. "'My compatriots are as varied as the realm itself and hail from every corner of our land, bringing with them artifacts and talismans of great power.'" While Zud was saying this, the book started to shimmer, imaginary artefacts came out of the book to the map table. "I-I'm not doing anything." Zud stammered. The artefacts spun around for a while until they each land into different places.

"Nico's shovel!" Jerome exclaimed, pointing to the shovel floating on the map table. "Jelly's shield!" Chrissy exclaimed, pointing to the shield. "Biffle's flower!" Kate exclaimed, also pointing to the artefact floating on the map table. "Sigils's mask!" Mitzefy exclaimed, pointing. "And the blindfold Henwy wore when he faced the nasty sphinx!" GarryBlox said.

"I guess we don't need to figure who should get what."