Chapter 20 Something is worst

A light hits my eyes. I squeeze them tightly and try to move. My whole body aches, but especially my ribs. It must be from last night's sobs. Attempting to rise and open my eyes, I find them heavily inflamed, making it difficult to see. I need to wash my face with cold water to reduce the inflammation. My instinct is to look for him in my bed, especially feeling like this. His presence was my peace, my relief.

— No, I must not go there again! — It hurts physically, even breathing. I cannot spend the day here. It hurts to be here; I feel everything will cause me pain.

When I am in the bathroom, the house phone rings. I ignore it, then my cell phone. As I get closer, I see a missed call from my mother. I grabbed it to return it, but I was crying again. I cannot speak, and I wait a moment, trying to calm down and be able to call. When I go to do it, it rings again. When answering, she speaks first; she is crying. I cannot even talk. I have been in that state since yesterday.

She tells me; — I am with Hera in the hospital.

I say hoarsely; — why?

I hear through the line that she is trying to take a deep breath to calm down and talk to me; — She may have a fractured cheekbone.

My answer is to take a breath, which makes my whole sternum ache. My mother kept talking;

—She hadn't gone to the hospital, but her eye looked terrible, and I insisted on bringing her.

I can only say this time; — okay—. My mom is going through hell and does not see that I am also struggling. She tells me — I will keep you informed. — And hangs up. I keep looking at the phone.

Standing up, I decided I could not stay here anymore. I don't even bathe. I am wearing black pants, a jean jacket, and my tennis shoes that are not so white anymore and quickly pick up my bag and keys. Walking down the same street that I do from Monday to Friday, my feet take me there, but I do not decide it consciously. My mind is full of flashes from yesterday, plus now I imagine how Hera's face turned out.

A somewhat discordant thought comes to me; — Will she still look like a princess? — God granted her beauty. I hope the bastard does not ruin that for her. People are looking at me while I walk. It may be because I look like a homeless person, my face looks like the living dead (I am), or probably because I am talking to myself. I do not care at all; I laugh. It was a long time coming, but I finally reached a point where the opinions of others did not faze me, but in what way? I feel the pressure in my chest again; I distance myself from those thoughts.

I arrive at the office, go through the entrance, and continue straight, but I hear a voice in the background. It is Gregory. I somewhat comprehend what he is saying. I think he asked me if I am okay; — No, I don't feel well—; I mutter, walking along.

I put my bag on the desk and hear Estefany say; — Look who decides to come to... — She stops in the middle of a sentence when she sees my face, looks me up and down, turns, and walks away. — Well, there you go—. I say to myself.

I robotically answer the phone, just answering the questions and transferring the call to the staff. One of those calls was for me this time.

It is Max, not Alan, who wants to talk to me. He Tells me; — Eliz, Human Resources informed me you were absent yesterday. They have received no notifications regarding issues or another sick day.

I remained silent, and he continued before my apparent lack of interest — if you are not serious about this job, please inform us. I told you about an opportunity to move up and said nothing. You were absent without justification after you called in sick. This is the first and last call for attention, which goes with the reprimand of deducting yesterday's workday and the payment of the substitute.