47 | Vulnerable

Recommended song: In This Darkness By Clara La San

"And these steps will be decorated with white flowers," the woman motioned toward the stone steps that we were walking down as I held onto Noa's arm—taking in the beautiful water that glistened underneath the sun. 

It was the perfect backdrop for anything, but more specifically for the moment that Noa and I bound our relationship for all of eternity. 

The tall mountains and faraway Italian city beyond the sparkling body of water seemingly only added to the unreal view. 

"And then the white aisle will be laid down toward the altar, which will be right—" the woman motioned a little bit in front of us, "There," she said, looking back toward us with a smile. 

I looked over at Noa, taking in how beautifully the sun reflected against her perfect skin, outlining her sharp jawline and chiseled cheekbones. 

I swear I've never loved anything more in my life. 

It's such an overwhelming feeling—like this giddy warmness that makes you want to jump up and down until you faint. 

The kind that leaves you with the sorest smile. 

"I'm happy to hear that—please let me know if you have anything to add last minutely," the woman said, snapping me from my thoughts as she conversed with Noa. 

Noa nodded, "We will," she said, and with that, we were walking away from the outdoor venue into the historic Italian chapel. 

It was the place where every single leader from the Saints had gotten married. 

Even Noa's parents. 

Of course, we put our own twist on it and decided to hold our wedding outside rather than in the chapel—but even being in a venue that dated back so long ago was mind-boggling. 

I looked over to Noa when she suddenly stopped walking, forcing me to follow her line of sight toward the altar in the chapel. 

The lighting was practically glistening and the beige walls were tall and dome. 

It felt like a dream. 

"Do you want to go in?" I said, gently running my hand up her firm arm.

Noa shook her head once, "No," she said, and with the way her voice was entirely expressionless, I knew the topic wasn't up for discussion. 

This clearly had something to do with her mom. 

And a part of me wished she would spare even a tiny piece of what was going on in her head. 

"Do you want to talk about it maybe?" I questioned, hoping to push the topic a little further, even if I knew I was veering into dangerous waters. 

But at the end of the day, we're getting married.

And letting me in should be something that she's capable of—or at least trying to be capable of. 

"Let's just drop the subject," Noa said, diverting her attention away from the empty room as she began walking again—forcing me to follow behind her. 

I reached for her arm that I had previously been holding, but when she flinched away from me, I stopped in my tracks entirely. 

She's never flinched away from me before, and it was clear that Noa knew that. 

Especially with how her face fell at the realization of what she had just done. 

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean—"