Chapter 12

Ink awoke from his dream with a low hiss. His bones burned and stung unbearably, and only after laying in his bed for a few moments, trying to understand his pain did he finally realize what it was. It was the pain that accompanied an attack on an AU. Specifically an attack on the AU's codes.

Error, of course it was Error, Ink seethed internally. He'd almost forgotten about his arch nemesis with all that was happening to him. So without a second thought Ink rushed out of his bed and ran to his closet and changed out of his pajamas with great urgency -his tail hindered his speedy change, so he took a few minutes more than usual-. He burst through his bedroom door and ran to go tell Dream and Blue. 

The day before, after they'd visited Sci, the Stars had came to the decision for Dream to live with Ink for the unforeseeable future. Blue would need to return to Underswap in the morning, and if there was an attack they agreed -although Ink was reluctant- that Ink would go to an AU where he could be watched by it's Sans. However they didn't even have a clue as to which Sans to ask, so, consequently Ink didn't have anyone to watch him. 

Ink slammed the guest room door open, which Dream was occupying, he shot up from the mattress at the sound. Before Dream could question him, Ink started pulling at his arm insistently. Dream stumbled out of his bed while Ink rabbled about something that his drowsy mind couldn't make out at the moment. Dream sighed, stopping Ink from dragging him around the guest room and instead started rubbing at his tired eye sockets trying to wake himself up. The sound of the door slamming shut jolted him into a more competent consciousness, when he removed his hands from his skull he found no Ink in sight and instead found his now closed door. Dream desperately wanted to go back to bed and just leave Ink to figure it out but knew better then to. So, instead he changed and went to go see what the fuss was about.

When Dream had made it to the living room he was met with a very distressed Ink and an equally concerned Blue.

"Okay, Dream's here, we have to go, there's no time to waste." Ink said with a firm voice.

"Go where?" Dream asked.

"An AU is under attack. Error's there right now destroying the codes. Luckily he seems to be taking his time, we should be able to get there in time to save it." Ink explained in slight annoyance at the lack of urgency.

Dream's brows furrowed, he wore a slight frown, "Ink, you are in no shape for battle," he sighed and steeled himself from being unnecessarily rude, he knew he could be a little rude when he first wakes up -gosh he needed a coffee-. He calmed himself and gained an understanding expression, "Ink, I understand your concern over the AUs but you must surely understand that we cannot allow you to go." Dream continued more gently.

Ink didn't understand why but seeing Dream's sudden change of mood brought him an unbearable amount of irritation. He looked at Dream with an offended expression. There they were doing it again. Treating him like a baby bones and worrying about him. Ink knew he shouldn't feel so offended, but he couldn't help it.

"Why are you both treating me like I'm a baby bones, like I can't take care of myself?" Ink exclaimed, mad and hurt. 

"What? Ink, we're-" Blue started but was cut off by Ink.

"Don't you even start Blue, every time you look at me it's either with worry or pity, or a mix of the two! I'm- I'm just sick of it!" Ink shouted. Why was he yelling at Blue? He didn't want to, he didn't mean to. Blue was just emotional, he wore his heart on his sleeve, it wasn't his fault. He knew this so why-.

"Ink! What is wrong with you?" Dream exclaimed offended for Blue by Ink's horrid words. "Blue and I are only concerned for you, why are you lashing out at us?" Dream said stepping in front of Blue hoping to somehow physically shield Ink's words from his friend.

"What's wrong with me?" Ink began venom now lacing his voice, "I have a fucking tail, an AU being destroyed as we speak, and two friends who keep breathing down my neck and constantly monitoring me. That's what's wrong, Dream." Ink said glaring at him, while internally wish for himself to stop. "Now lets go and stop Error. You can chew me out later when we get home." Ink finished turning around to create a portal.

However, he was hindered from doing so when his arm was suddenly grabbed, and was forcefully pushed to sit down in a chair, where he landed on his tail with a yelp. Dream stood above him, looming above his form on the chair.

"Ink, no matter how you may think we feel, we care about you. Yes, admittedly, we've been hovering around you, so I can understand why you're angry, but please understand we only want the best for you, and to see you happy. We didn't mean to make you feel like we were treating you like a child, but it was the only way that we felt..," Dream paused searching for the right words, "like we were helping you, I suppose. When we come back we can talk about this more, okay?"

After Ink hit the chair the fight left his body. Now calmed down from his moment of rage he felt horrible. He didn't mean to say any of those things, but, he was now slightly glad he had. He wasn't sure what had possessed him to make him talk about how he felt about the situation -granted the conversation could have been less, in a word, hostile, but he digressed-, having that off his chest felt amazing. However, he did still feel bad knowing that he had just blown up at them. Ink gave a solemn nod and Dream breathed a calming breathe while he wiped away a stray tear from Ink's cheekbone, which surprised Ink slightly, not the action, but the fact that he was crying.

"Me and Blue will take care of Error, you should go back to bed." Dream instructed. Ink replied with another solemn nod. Dream let a small smile bloom on his skull. Dream moved so he was no longer looming over Ink and asked, "Which AU is being attacked?"

"SwapFell." Ink said quietly. Dream and Blue bid their farewells as Dream created a portal.