Chapter 61

The common room was silent as they watched Tony and Rocket set up the gauntlet

The common room was silent as they watched Tony and Rocket set up the gauntlet. Each eye trained on the glowing stones set into the metal form of a hand, each member of the team fitted out in whatever clothing they deemed most appropriate for this moment. Steve was clutching his shield, having sourced a more recent edition of his suit; Clint and Scott had similarly chosen more tactical clothing, Rhodes was already encased in his armour, Tony had his nanotech on standby – and Thor seemed content with his hoodie. Kat hadn't even questioned the reasoning behind Steve handing out comms earpieces as they had each entered the room. Whatever the stones had in store for them, they were as ready as they could be.

The device cradling the gauntlet in mid-air hummed softly, as whatever combination of nanotech and electro-magnets Tony had chosen for the job fought to balance the outrageous object of power laid before them. Carefully, Tony reached to adjust it slightly, making Kat wince as his bare fingers made contact with the metal.

Objectively, she knew it was probably safe at this level, but as had been mentioned so often, they didn't know what to expect. Perhaps that was why she could feel every muscle in her body tensing painfully as she watched, why the skin around her thumbnail had been chewed raw in the few minutes they had waited for this moment.

And now they were here, she couldn't quite come to terms with it.

They had gathered the stones. Now all that was left was for someone to use them.

"Alright, the glove's ready." Rocket announced warily as he finished helping Tony adjust the object, "The only question is, who's gonna snap their freakin' fingers?"

Kat didn't move, save for setting her teeth to her thumb once more at the thought of watching someone actually put the gauntlet on.

"I'll do it." Thor lurched across the room eagerly, his hand raised, already reaching for the glove.

"Excuse me?"

"It's alright-"

"Whoa, whoa..." Tony and Steve rushed to stop him quickly, placing themselves as a physical barrier between the Asgardian and the stones.

"Thor, just wait." Steve insisted softly, "We haven't decided who's gonna put that on yet."

"I'm sorry – what we're all just sitting around waiting for the right opportunity?" The taller man scoffed.

"We should at least discuss it." Scott interjected, stepping forward.

"Look, sitting here staring at the thing is not going to bring everybody back." Thor insisted, "I'm the strongest Avenger, okay? So this responsibility falls upon me."

"Normally, you're right." Tony reasoned, "It's not about that-"

"It's not that- Stop it! Just let me!" Thor demanded over Tony's attempts to placate him, his hands fisting in the air before he relaxed them, laying his palms on the chest of his teammate. "Just let me do it."