Chapter 40

"Nat, honesty, it's okay

"Nat, honesty, it's okay. I'll be fine." Kat breathed as she looked up into the conflicted green eyes of her friend as they stood together in the foyer of the compound. Reaching to gently take her fellow Russian's hands and squeeze them within her own, she mustered up a watery attempt at a reassuring smile as she tried to make those words believable. "It makes sense, you know that. There aren't enough seats and someone needs to stay here. Someone needs to keep an eye on Tony and if- if... If you manage to do it, the world is going to need someone to explain what's going on." She reasoned softly.

She was right, of course. It didn't make the words any easier to speak, though. Or any more believable.

Because she wanted to be on that ship. She wanted to follow her friends to the farthest reaches of the galaxy. She wanted to scream out her grief as she tore Thanos limb from limb for what he had done.

She wanted to come home and tell Bucky that she had gone to the stars to get him back.

But it didn't work out that way.

It had all been discussed already, and she had volunteered. Because everyone else on that ship had a better reason to be there than Kat did. Either they were already accustomed to space travel, or they had some power, some strength that she didn't. Natasha had tried to argue that physically, Kat had an advantage over her with the addition of the serum, but Kat had insisted. Natasha was a better fighter. Faster, in both her movements and her ability to make decisions. And Kat knew that Nat and Steve would do everything in their power to bring back what they had lost. She trusted them to do what she couldn't.

And perhaps on some very small, cowardly level, Kat feared that if she went then they would fail, because she had taken someone's place. Because she had gone with some misguided sense of heroism. She couldn't live with herself if she made that choice.

"Just make sure you come home in one piece, okay?" She whispered, the tiniest waver in her voice betraying just how frightened she was too. Of sending what was left of her family out into the void of space to face the very thing that had already torn so much away from them. If Natasha and Steve didn't come back...

It didn't bear thinking about. They would come back. Of course they would. And they'd find the stones. They'd bring everyone back. And then it wouldn't matter that Kat hadn't been on that ship. Because everything would be okay again.

"Of course we will." Natasha assured her softly, tugging Kat into a tight embrace as the footfalls of the others passing them heralded her need to depart. Nebula, Rocket, Carol, Thor, Rhodes, Bruce... Steve was the last to go, hesitating for a moment as Kat drew back from Natasha's hug.

"We'll try not to take too long." He smiled tightly down at Kat, reaching to draw her under his arm and then exhaling a tiny breath of surprise as she turned to hug him with every ounce of strength in her exhausted body.

"Good." She managed to breathe through the mist that had suddenly risen in her eyes, "Because it won't take long for Tony and I to run out of small talk."