Chapter 69

Kat didn't get to put together the puzzle pieces that Steve had handed her during their discussion at the memorial until a few weeks later

Kat didn't get to put together the puzzle pieces that Steve had handed her during their discussion at the memorial until a few weeks later. When their reconstruction of the time machine was finished, on the edge of where Stark Industry cleanup crews were gradually clearing away what remained of the Avengers Compound.

In truth, she didn't actually put the pieces together herself. Steve did it for her.

Quietly approaching where Kat sat on a rickety bench, scavenged from the rubble and perched on the edge of their small construction site, she almost didn't notice Steve drawing close, preoccupied as she was with watching Sam's car pull up on the edge of the trees that surrounded them, the promise of dinner clutched in his hands as he climbed out. Throwing him a warm smile, she laid down the rough copy of one of Tony's trackers that she had been tinkering with, trying to properly replicate the design after the others had been damaged or lost in the battle. "Hey stranger." She hummed, watching as he lowered himself down to sit beside her, though he faced his body the opposite way. Out towards the lake at Kat's back. Frowning curiously, she tucked one leg up onto the bench so she could turn to follow his gaze. "You okay?"

"Yeah." He nodded, his tone somewhat distant as he straightened his posture. "Just thinking."

"Want to share?" She prompted gently, internally noting that her friend had been lost in thought a lot since the memorial. It wasn't particular cause for concern, not with everything that had happened, but it wasn't like Steve to be closed off.

"Just... There are a few things I have to do." He clarified – without clearing up anything – but a small motion of his hands had Kat's eyes falling to the folder he hadn't realised he had been holding when he sat down. There was a SHEILD emblem stamped on the cover. "Things I need to give you."

Nodding slowly, Kat tried to still the anxious lacing of her fingers on her lap as she made a poor effort not the stare at the object. It only took him a second longer to hand it over to her, but once her fingers closed around the stiff manilla card, she found herself hesitating to open it. She knew what it was, there wasn't anything else it could be. The instructions Natasha had left, to be followed in the event of her death.

The news had been released at the same time as the news about Tony. The world knew that two Avengers had fallen in defence of the universe. Only one had been fully laid to rest.

"She didn't want anything big." Steve elaborated, once he had let her sit in silence for a moment. "She'd already picked out a spot, maybe you could choose a stone... Clint said he could help."

"I..." The lump of strangled grief that had crawled up her throat choked her words for a moment, as she ran her fingers over the red Confidential stamp that interrupted the beige card. "You're talking like you're not going to have to hold my hand the whole way through this." She joked weakly, her expression scrunching as her fingers traced over a bump pressing through the cover of the folder, a shape that didn't belong in a paper file. Frowning, she dared open the document, the furrow between her brows only deepening as she glimpsed the silver key laying there. "Was this hers?"