Chapter 26

We both reentered the pool, Lyland entered quite a bit before I did. My head was reeling. Did I truly just ask Lyland to kiss me? Did that really just happen? We had been friends since we were little, and now things were going to be different. Just when I made the decision to disappear from my friends for a while.

Cleo beams at me, clearly waiting for the first chance she got to bring it up. Cash seemed to pick up on what had happened too, as he was glaring at me. His eyes were dark and hooded. He seems beyond annoyed and beyond tired. His skin was so pale it almost seems sickly.

"After this game, everyone who doesn't live here needs to go home," Cash demands. His voice carries a realm of superiority to it.

"It's passed curfew," the twins chime at the same time.

Cash lets out a heavy sigh, sliding his hands through his hair. "Fine, then everyone stays here but goes to seperate rooms." The tiredness slips into his voice as he says it. He was beyond exhausted, I think to myself. Secretly I wish there was something I could do to help, but I knew there wasn't.

"Cashel," Cleo argues, "all the girls are going to have a sleepover in my room." Grand. That means I'm going to be stuck with the twins for the rest of the night, in Cleo's room.

"Yes!" Izzy chimes.

Cash nods. Right, I think. He just doesn't want Lyland to be near me, or Raiden to have his girlfriend in the same room.

"I'm not scared of breaking curfew," Teegan adds. I had honestly forgot he was here.

"If its past curfew, you have to stay," Cash commands.

"I don't have to listen to you," Teegan counters.

"You have to stay Teegan," Raiden says. Teegan turns to Raiden in annoyance, but with one stern look from Raiden he looks down.

I felt a pull in my stomach. Raiden was going to be Duke soon, that's why Teegan listened to him. That's why Cashel's words meant nothing to him. Teegan's compliance meant he was a shifter. That means Lyland also has to listen to Raiden. Suddenly relief fills me, at least Cash isn't going to be the Duke, or Lyland would never be allowed to talk to me again.

"You can just stay in one of the empty rooms, buddy with Lyland if you want," Cash regains control. The way he said Lyland seems full of hatred. He definitely knows what just happened.

I twiddle my fingers, staring down at them. This was too uncomfortable for me. Regret swims through my veins, I made a huge mistake kissing Lyland. How was I going to explain to him I was going to isolate myself for a while right after kissing him? Besides now it would be even more discomforting to come to the Lupines' with Cash upset with me. He had no right to be upset in the first place.

(AUG3)

I wearily look towards Cleo, silently begging her to stop this before it becomes anything else. She seems to get the memo. "Okay, so for the ones who weren't here," she starts with a wink in my direction. "We are going to play Spike."

"What is that exactly?" Lyland asks. His stunning smile catches my attention, like electricity coursing through my veins. I look back down at my hands, as I bite the inside of my lip.

Cash lets out a quick chuckle in response. I glare up at him, biting the inside of my lip harder. He smirks at me in response, making me feel small.

"It's water volleyball, but there is balls of water flying full force from the back sides. If you get hit by the balls of water, you're out. You have to get out of the pool until the round is over. If the game ball lands in the water or if your team hits the ball twice, you lose a point. Three rounds, at 10 points each make a game," Cleo explains.