Chapter 23

After storming off I was left with a dilemma, what was I supposed to do now? I had stormed off with all the gracefulness of a toddler, which had left me embarrassed. Not to mention hugging Lyland for as long as I did in front of everyone, and then being put in the middle of them acting like children already had me embarrassed.

My immediate response was to take off for Lilac Lake, but the chances of someone here following me were to high to risk. Cleo had completely disappeared with Izlynd, which left me less options on who to talk to. I could join Raiden and Ivory who were probably off somewhere with their lips sealed to each other, walk back over to Cash and Lyland, or be alone.

Being alone has always bothered me to be honest, which is ironic considering I had no close friends for years. Now it almost seemed like a relief. So taking comfort in that I slip away to the far corner of the gym, hoping to be left alone.

There was a lot more to do here than there was at the Lilac Lake. Complicated machines I didn't really understand were scattered everywhere. The simplicity of the lake was something to miss in all honesty, but I've got to make this work.

I plop myself down onto a random machine that's as hidden as I could find, and look at it thoroughly. It was black and silver, and had a punch of pieces, but no instructions on how to use it. My professional athlete self decided I might as well wing it, because what could go wrong.

After I got bored, frustrated, or sore I moved onto the next machine. Slowly I worked myself out of the corner. Time passed pretty slowly, as I watch everyone flutter around the gym.

Cleo bounced back and forth to different people constantly, dragging Izzy behind her like a lost puppy dog. I thought I would be jealous but I almost feel relief at Cleo having someone new to boss around. Perhaps she would back off of me a little bit. Our promise meant she would always stay my best friend though, so I knew there was nothing for me to worry about.

Every once in a while, I would catch Lyland looking my way. It seems like he may be wanting to talk to me, but I knew if that was the case he would just come over. Perhaps it was me who was longing to talk to him. The need to walk over to him and talk. Now that we have gotten closer again, it felt off to be at odds with him.

Cash and I made eye contact once too.

His eyes were fierce, yet ghostly. At the eye contact he raises a brow slightly, his small eyebrow piercing seems to twinkle in the light in response to that. Neither of us dares to break eye contact. I feel like a deer caught aback by the headlights of a car heading straight at me, stuck in the lure of danger. Who knew why he just stares back at me, eyebrow raised, with a blank look in his eyes. Finally, he thins his eyes into what resembles a glare and turns around, shattering the weird moment into pieces.

Something about Cash made me feel so vulnerable. It took a while to shake the odd feeling that spread through my body while we were making eye contact. Something similar to fear but almost an enticing type of fear. Breaking eye contact made me long for more. Long to do something, anything to catch the attention of those vibrant brooding eyes.

Pushing past the emotions pulling at me, I try to focus on working out. This is not the time for weakness, I think to myself. Those boys were a distraction that couldn't be afforded. I had to train, and get stronger. The murderer was still at large, and I want to be the one who catches them.

It was up to me to solve the case. It was up to me to train for war. If for no other reason than that was what I want to do. The murderer scarred me, and in all honesty, I want revenge. They need to pay for what they did to me and to the Emperor.

Even if that means continuing to put my life on hold and torturing myself by working out constantly. I had originally told myself after graduation I would let go a little, but I guess that's not going to happen considering that its a week away. It would be fun to just let go and live life, let someone else find the killer. It was just to personal for me to let that happen though.

Once I find the killer, I'll let myself have some fun. Choose if I wanted to consider having a boyfriend or girlfriend then, but that was still to far off to worry about. Cleo was stuck being my friend, so I didn't have to worry to much about how much time I spent with her. She'd understand when she found out about the killer.

An idea came to mind, enjoy tonight and then focus on myself and my powers for a while. Lyland had been my friend forever, and Clementine was promised to be my friend, so they would still be around once all of this was over. Cashel knows what's going on so he would understand too, not that he mattered much but still. So if I'm not around as much for a while, they'll all be fine and get over it.

I stop working out and look up. Coincidentally, Lyland was walking my way. Moving towards him, I meet him in the middle. "Everyone has decided its time to stop wondering around the gym and go swimming downstares, so Cleo told me to come get you," he says with a small smile.

"Okay," I reply trying to sound chipper. Enjoy tonight, I remind myself. I could tell Lyland had more he wanted to say, so I wait. It never comes though. We both just walk quielty back over to everyone who was standing around talking.

"Do you have a bathing suit?" Clementine asks me once I walk over.

"Uh, no, I do not," I answer. Of course I didn't. My immediant response was to say that it was okay, that I could just sit with my feet in the water while they swam. However, I was trying to enjoy this last night with my friends that I would have for a while.

"Hmmm..." Clementine adds.

"Do you have any extra, Cleo?" Izzy asks. "Because I could fix one to fit Aurilyn." Islynd offers me a small friendly smile. Right, I think, she is a witch. She probably could just wave her hands and make one if she wanted to.

"Yes!" Cleo chimes, instantly grabbing both my arm and Izzy's. She tugs us behind her, all but skipping off.

"Thank you," I say quietly to both of them. Slowly I slip my arm out of Cleo's grasp as she pulls both of us out of the gym. She doesn't seem to notice, as she continues pulling Izzy behind her. I follow beside them in quiet as they talk about something that I only half pay attention to. Making for a long walk to Cleo's room.