8

2021, July 5.

"Ma, I've got something to tell you," I whispered to Mama as we sat down for a late lunch at a restaurant near the airport. I had just arrived from Singapore via Singapore Airlines, landing at 1 PM.

Yuki and I had discussed the idea of introducing our parents to each other through video calls since we couldn't meet them in person. It was an unconventional way but the best we could do given the circumstances.

Her eyes widened with curiosity, and she asked, "What's that, Erinne?"

I mustered up the courage and spoke softly, "Ma...I have a boyfriend po."

Both Mama and Eleine were taken aback by my revelation. They exchanged glances, and then Eleine asked, "Who?"

I blushed and replied, "Yuki...Ishikawa...Japan's volleyball player."

Then I showed Yuki as my phone's wallpaper.

Eleine still doubtful, said, "Ate, I know he's your player, but it's unbelievable."

Mom just laughed, too. They weren't convinced, so I showed my photos with Yuki.

They still didn't believe me because it was not impossible to be close since we were on the same team.

Yuki sent a message at the right time.

'Have you arrived?'

'Yes, Mom and Eleine picked me up. We're now having late lunch.'

'Good, good. I just got off from our practice. I'm free for the rest of the day.'

'Yuki...I know this is sudden, but are you okay with video calling? They don't believe me that you are my boyfriend.'

'Now? I look messy, but sure if that would make them believe you.'

'Will be calling now.'

I called Yuki through my tablet.

He immediately answered, and there he appeared on the screen. Mom and Eleine were shocked and very shy. I found their expressions funny.

Yuki introduced himself to them. They introduced themselves, too.

They talked about a few things and interviewed Yuki.

Finally, Mama spoke up, her voice filled with love and concern for this precious daughter. "Erinne is very precious to me. She's a very responsible daughter. She is wise and beautiful. She never disappointed me, even if she was tired. I know I've put her under too much pressure, but she did not fail to deliver. She got hurt once, so please take care of her. I know that you are a very reliable man, Yuki."

Yuki responded sincerely, fully aware of the weight of Mama's words. "Yes, I will take care of her."

A smile graced Mama's face as she said, "You can call me Mama if you'd like."

Yuki's expression lit up with gratitude, "Thank you, Mama. Arigatou gozaimasu!"

Our food arrived, so we had to bid him goodbye.

As our food arrived, we reluctantly bid Yuki farewell, promising to stay in touch. "Later, Yuki. Rest well!" I called out to him, already missing his presence.

"Just give me a call whenever, Ai,"
he replied with a tender tone in his voice.

Ending the video call, I turned to Mama, knowing that another important conversation was waiting to happen.

"Anak, I understand that both of you live alone, and I trust your judgment. Just remember that we are always here to support you, and I can't wait to see you in a beautiful wedding gown someday," Mama said full of love and sincerity.