Chapter Sixteen

Clint trips a chitauri soldier and then rams one of his arrows down his throat as Astoria runs past him, impaling another with her sword, Natasha rolls across the ground and disarms a soldier, taking his energy rifle from him and then uses it to stick fight the aliens, rather than just shooting them. Steve suddenly rejoins them, using his shield to knock down a few soldiers. They seem to be overwhelmed. Numbers too much. When lightning strikes down from the sky, channelling the blast, firing the electricity out at the chitauri around them. They're blasted back in a massive shockwave. The chitauri soldiers convulse, drop dead to the ground. Thor touches down and moves to Astoria, she blows her hair from her face and turns to him. Thor lets out a breath and looks around his new comrades as Loki teleports onto the scene, swaggering towards them like he isn't the one that bought the aliens here, to begin with.

"What's the story upstairs?" Steve asks.

"Lady Astoria will turn off the device powering the portal when the time is right" Thor answers and Astoria nods. "We deal with the ground army until then" Thor answers adjusting his grip on his hammer.

"And Loki?" Clint asks readying an arrow, side-eyeing Loki who gives him the stinkeye back.

"Will be discussed later" Thor adds giving Clint a look. But Thor knows how that conversation is going to go. Loki will be taken back to Asgard. That is not up for negotiation.

"How do we do this?" Natasha asks as Astoria spins her sword, getting ready.

"As a team," Steve tells them, gives Astoria a warning look feeling she might have a bit of trouble there, she looks around as if seeking out someone else that he's looking at before she turns back to him and points to herself in question. Steve gives her a look and she rolls her eyes. "We need to keep the fight focused on us" He adds. "We got Stark up top, he's gonna need us..." Just then, Bruce arrives on a small motorbike. Getting off, he looks around the city and the destruction that's come from the army so far. Bruce will turn the tide on the fight. Show that they are really trying.

"So, this all seems horrible" Bruce offers them.

"I've seen worse" Natasha argues, Bruce gives her an apologetic smile.

"Sorry"

"No. We could use a little worse" She assures him.

"Stark? We got him" Steve voices into his coms unit.

"Banner?"

"Just like you said" Steve answers.

"Great. Hey, Hargreeves...I got you another one" Tony comes out from behind a building. A leviathan follows, impatiently. Astoria groans a little.

"Do you know how exhausting this is?" She complains and weaves through them to stand at the front. She gathers her magic into her hands, pulsing blue mist before she shifts her stance and throws out her hands with a cry. The leviathan swoops down, barreling down the street towards the wave of blue mist flies towards it. When the mist collides with the leviathan there is a shockwave that rolls both ways down the street, taking out the glass in windows. The mist weaves through the leviathan, seeping into every inch of it. But it isn't enough this time. Astoria pushes with her hands, thicker, darker mist rolls out and hurries towards the leviathan.

"It's still coming" Natasha points out.

"Yeah, can see that" Astoria argues as she grits her teeth. Bruce passes her, walking towards the oncoming leviathan.

"Dr Banner. Now might be a really good time for you to get angry" Steve comments.

"That's my secret, Captain. I'm always angry." Bruce admits and then lifts his head to look at the monster coming his way. His body starts to swell and shift, green ripples rolling through him before he embiggens. Hulk now stands before them. He roars and throws out a punch, popping the leviathan right on the nose. The huge monstrosity flips over.

"Oh, shit" Astoria comments and throws out her hands, threading her fingers together before she pulls them apart, the mist in the leviathan following her movements, it explodes outward. Steve raises his shield to shield himself and Natasha from falling pieces of flesh. Loki wraps himself and Astoria in an energy shield as he pulls her into his chest and curls around her to protect her from the huge pieces of alien. From above and on the buildings, the chituari army watches in horror

"What will they do now you've turned on them?" Steve asks Loki as they all wait for the chitauri to make a move.

"I have no idea" Loki admits. He was their commander. Their leader. But without him, they might leave or just fight harder. Here's hoping for the former.

"One more wave and then we shut it down" Thor adds though. Astoria nods in agreement. That's a good idea. They want to make it realistic but not actually a real threat.

"Then our job is clear....get Hargreeves to the roof" Steve orders.

"You guys remember that I can teleport, right?" Astoria reminds them. "You don't need to worry about getting me there...just give the word when we're ready..." She adds and then they all look up when the chitauri screech in rage. From the portal, thousands more chitauri soldiers and even more leviathans descend on them

"Guys" Natasha warns.

"Call it, Cap" Tony adds. Steve nods and turns to the team behind him.

"Alright, listen up. Until we close that portal, we're gonna use containment. Barton, I want you on that roof, eyes on everything. Call out patterns and strays. Stark, you got the perimeter. Anything gets more than three blocks out, you turn it back or your turn it to ash" Steve orders, falling into the leader role without hesitation. Clint turns to Tony.

"Wanna give me a lift?"

"Right. Better clench up, Legolas" Tony warns and then lifts Clint up into the sky.

"Thor, you've gotta try and bottleneck that portal. Slow them down. You've got the lightning. Light the bastards up" Steve adds, Thor then flies off giving Loki a warning look. "Hargreeves, Loki" They both look at Steve. "You gotta get those flying monstrosities out of the sky"

"Blow them to smithereens, got it" Astoria comments and then holds out her hand to Loki, he looks at the outstretched hand and then to her, she gives him a reassuring nod, he takes her hand and she teleports them both away. Steve turns to Natasha.

"You and me, we stay here on the ground, keep the fighting here. And Hulk" Hulk turns to Steve. "Smash" The Hulk smiles and then leaps up, soaring up into the side of a building where he takes out a number of chitauri.