Chapter Twelve

The doors open to the hanger and Loki and Astoria walk through them, he pulls her towards where a jet is parked up but ready to leave. She stops and pulls a face. Unsure about going off with him. It would put her firmly on his side. Firmly turning her back on the 'good' guys. Loki releases her and turns to face her.

"Do you trust me?" He asks her. She scoffs and shakes her head.

"Not even a little" She answers, he lets out a small laugh and glances back at her.

"Smart girl" He comments and the sobers a little, he steps closer to her. "You were right" He admits, she raises an eyebrow back at him. "Someone worse is behind this" He offers. "Right now, this....team isn't enough to stop him, you aren't enough...but I can buy you time"

"Time to what?" She asks him.

"To become who you were meant to be" He teases and pokes her nose. She shoots him a look. "I believe you are the key to stopping him...all that power bottled up deep inside of you...." He motions with his hands. "You've barely scratched the surface of what you are capable of...."

"I can't" She whispers. "I can't use....only in Purgatory" He taps her forehead.

"Because you are blocking yourself in here" He rubs her forehead. "You need to let go"

"I can't" She argues. She can't do that again. She can't even think about letting go and letting it all out. She can imagine the damage she'll be capable of. She knows how powerful she is in Purgatory. She can never bring those powers into the real world, she'll never be able to control them.

"Why not?" He asks her, she looks away from him. "What happened?" He asks softer.

"I started panicking. People got hurt" She answers and shrugs. "My powers stay where they are"

"Then this world is doomed" He backs up and then turns heading onto the jet. Astoria sighs a little and places her hands on her hips. Maybe he does have a point. But maybe she can just decide to do it. She has no idea how to undo the block. Loki stops and looks over his shoulder at her. "Coming?" He asks her, she glances at him. She then looks around at the helicarrier. If she stays, she'll likely be restrained again, even if she did exactly what Fury wanted. This is why she hates working for government agencies. Bad things happen to her. She lets out a breath and then heads towards the jet and Loki. It is her only choice. Plus this way, she can keep an eye on him and what he's doing. Loki nods a little and then takes a breath. "Just for today" He starts. "Trust me" She searches his eyes and then nods.

"Don't make me regret doing so" She argues and then moves to take a seat, Loki glances at her and then does the same.

..........

Astoria pours herself a drink at Tony's bar and watches as Loki stares out of the floor-to-ceiling windows, just watching the city beyond as they wait for it to begin. Astoria is processing what he told her on the flight over here. Of his plan. His weird and stupid plan.

"Okay, so you are planning on losing?" She asks him, he nods. "Why didn't you just tell them that back on the helicarrier?"

"It had to be believable"

"It just sounds like you are making things way more difficult than need be" He looks over his shoulder at her. She gives him a look back. "Maybe you're just screwing with me" She points out. "Some sort of game to take away a chess piece"

"And which piece would you be?" He asks.

"The queen, obviously" She answers quickly. He snorts and then nods, agreeing with her. "So is it?"

"Is it what?"

"A game to you?"

"No" He answers and moves towards her. "Why would I wish to remove the only piece capable of actually defending this pathetic spit of land?"

"Because it's a pathetic spit of land" She repeats back at him. He smirks at her and shrugs.

"If I fail he'll kill me anyway" He argues. "And If I am going to fail, I would rather make it more difficult for him" She hums a little and shrugs. It's a pretty decent reason why. She gets it. One last F-You to this big bad villain. She knows what Loki went through before he came to Earth. She can read it in his eyes. See just how much damage was done.

"It's Jarvis, right?" She states, Loki frowns at her.

"Yes, Miss Hargreeves" A voice states, Loki looks around for it.

"Who is that?" He asks.

"It's Stark's artificial intelligence" She offers. "He runs the building..." She motions with her finger. "ETA on their arrival?"

"Five minutes" Jarvis answers. Loki turns to look at Astoria with a frown.

"I contacted Stark..." She taps her head, implying telepathically, and shrugs. "Explained what's going on, he told Jarvis to allow us access to his tower...." Loki shifts closer to Astoria. "Your brother apparently has been rather vocal that you'll betray me....betray us"

"Well, it is a possibility" Loki agrees. She snorts a little and looks away as she takes a drink from her glass. "I'm not exactly known for my honesty, Magic-Girl" She hums a little.

"They'll make a good show of it" She offers and looks at him.

"As will I" He agrees, she gives him a look.

"This is the part where you reassure me that I won't regret trusting you" She argues. He draws the back of his fingers over her cheek.

"You won't regret it" He assures her, and there is something in his voice that makes her believe him, which is probably a mistake. She feels like it's going to be a mistake.

A/N- A FEW PEOPLE HAVE ASKED FOR A FACE CLAIM FOR BERT THE CANNIBAL. SO....BILL SKARSGARD.