Chapter 10: Floridian Sunsets, and big brother complexes

The sun hung high in the sky as I walked alongside Maxine, Vincent, and Cole, the streets bustling with the activity of a typical day in Zepotha. The air was filled with a mix of anticipation and unease, a reflection of the events that had shaken our town to its core. Lydia and Francine had headed in a different direction – they were off to confront Lydia's parents, who had been giving her the cold shoulder ever since the night of the first murder. The tension between them was palpable, and the divide in our group was becoming more evident with each passing day.
We made our way to Saber's, the local diner that had become a frequent haunt for us. As we settled into a booth, I couldn't help but feel a sense of normalcy despite the heavy weight of the situation that loomed over us.

"So, Florida trip, huh?" I grinned, turning to Vincent and Cole. "How was it this year?"

Vincent leaned back, a contented smile on his face. "Amazing, as always. The beaches, the sunsets – it's like paradise."

Cole nodded in agreement, his eyes lighting up with excitement. "Yeah, and we met some cool people too. You guys would've loved it."

Maxine's lips curled into a playful smirk. "Oh, we're definitely going next year. Count us in."

As we chatted and laughed, the weight of the events that had brought us together lingered just beneath the surface. After a while, the conversation took a more serious turn, and the question that had been on all of our minds surfaced.

"Why do you think all of this is happening?" I asked, my tone subdued. "Give us your two cents."

Vincent's expression grew somber as he leaned forward. "I wish I had an answer, but it's like we're caught in some kind of twisted game. Whatever's going on, it's dangerous."

Maxine's brow furrowed, her concern evident. "But why target us? What did we do to deserve this? First Lydia, then Danny and yes they didn't die but doesn't it seem too close in proximity to our group to be a coincidence? There has to be some kind of pattern right?"

Cole's eyes met mine, his voice tinged with frustration. "Maybe it's not about us, maybe it's about something we stumbled upon, something we don't even know about."

The silence that followed was heavy with unspoken questions, our minds racing to make sense of the chaos that had invaded our lives. As our food arrived, the conversation shifted once again, this time to Maxine's close relationship with Daniel.

"So, Maxxie, what's the deal with you and Danny?" Cole asked with a mischievous grin.

Maxine's cheeks tinged with a faint blush, but she met his gaze with a playful glint in her eyes. "Oh, you know, just friends. We've known each other forever."

Vincent raised an eyebrow, his voice laced with skepticism. "Just friends, huh?"

Maxine's blush deepened, and she quickly changed the subject. "So, what have you guys been up to since everything started? Any new leads or ideas?"

I exchanged a glance with Cole before speaking. "We've been trying to piece things together, talk to people, see if anyone knows anything. But it's been tough. It's like everyone's on edge, and no one's really talking. Francie found some documents that we can look over later tonight once she and Lydia are back. Aside from that... I guess no one wants to believe quiet little Jordie would start doing this."

Vincent's eyes narrowed, his voice firm. "Just be careful, alright? Don't do anything that'll put you in danger."

Maxine and I exchanged a glance, the weight of his words sinking in. "We will," I assured him, my voice steady.

After finishing our meal, Vincent stood up, a determined expression on his face. "I'll take care of the bill. You guys head back. And remember movie night at Alaine's tonight. Don't do anything reckless before then." His tall, lean form moved with an effortless grace that always caught my attention. His dark, wavy hair fell over his forehead, adding a touch of casual charm to his look. I watched as he brushed his hair back, revealing those deep brown eyes that often seemed lost in thought.