Save Her

Phoebe's pov

"She's coding! Ma'am we're gonna need you to take a step back please."

"Ma'am. Move away please, if you want us to help your friend here you're gonna have to step back."

"Ma-"

"Phoebe, it's Phoebe."

"Well phoebe, as my colleague says, we can't help your friend if you're in the way. Now can you tell me her name."

A pause and a whispered, "I don't know." followed a small silence.

"What was that?" The amount of pitty in the paramedics voice was enraging.

"I said I don't know. I don't know her name." The amount of fear I had for the girl I met what felt like mere hours ago was so strange. "Is she gonna be okay? I mean, is she gonna live?"

"We're working on it ma'am."

"Phoebe."

"Phoebe. We're trying our best."

I nodded mutely, willing away tears.

I've always been in tune with situations and emotions, feeling everything so hard and so full that it's difficult to know the difference between actually caring and just being present. This felt different in a way though, this felt more defined.

"We have a pulse!" My head shot to the other paramedic, "Get her to the hospital, NOW!!"

My head was reeling, torn between asking to go with them or staying put and letting the rest ride out on it's own.

There was a strong pull to the former, feeling a need to know the girl was alright even if it was just for my own peace of mind. So before the paramedic stood with me could turn around and leave I called out to her, "Hey wait, would I be allowed to come with you? I might not know her name but we've met before."

The paramedic looked conflicted but finally nodded her head, probably expecting an argument and not having enough time to deal with me.

With that the hurt girl was loaded on to the ambulance, being secured and strapped in before the team of people began their attempt at keeping her alive long enough to get to the hospital, I followed suit and sat close to the edge of the gurney, taking her hand and hoping for the best.

Raene's pov

"22-year-old female, she was found bleeding out through a laceration on her lower abdomen, she's also suffered bruising to the ribs and arms, we suspect elsewhere too but haven't checked. Coded twice, once when we got to her and again in the ambulance but as of right now vitals are fine, bp is 120/80, respiration has stayed at a steady 20. Victim still remains unresponsive."

Muffled voices spoke hurriedly all around me, I couldn't make out much of what they were saying just that it was in a calmed panic.

I tried my best to open my eyes, lift my head, do anything to help me figure out what the fuck was going on. I tried moving a finger, moving my hand, opening my mouth to speak, to question, but nothing moved - everything felt like it weighed a thousand pounds and I hated every second of it.

I felt uncontrolling of my body, everything wasn't my own and it felt so suffocating. I attempted one more time to move my hand, still hearing some of the voices though it seemed like less than before.

"Doctor! Doctor she moved her hand, she squeezed my hand!" A softer voice that still sounded miles away came from the left of me, or was it my right? It was somewhere beside me and I tried so hard to strain my senses enough to hear who it was.

It seemed to work a little as everything became slightly less muffled, I could feel slightly more pain throughout my whole body and a tentative hand holding my own, gently drawing patterns over the back of it.

"Hey Raene, can you hear me? Do what you did and squeeze again if you can here me." This time a lower and rougher voice came through the haze of my head. I did what they asked and squeeze the hand that was holding mine, hearing a sigh of relief as everything slowly came back in to control.

God I wish it hadn't.

Everything hurt. My head errupted in to a cacophony of pain, sounds became clearer and a lot more unbearable and a firey sensation tore its way up from my stomach and in to whatever it could get to in my upper body.

I scrunched my eyes tight, wishing away the drilling in my head. Bringing my free hand up and putting as much pressure on it as my weak limbs would allow, "God fucking dammit."

"There she is, can you try to open your eyes for me Raene?" The low voice asked me again, bringing more unnecessary noise to my already aching brain, I groan in pain once more.

"Could you maybe get her something for the pain? She looks like she needs it." This time the gentler voice spoke, a familiar voice, someone I know though a name never came to my mind, They were female though, that's for sure "Maybe then we can try the whole thing again?"

The doctor sighed and what sounded like a rustle of papers made the impression of him going to leave, "Of course, I'll be back shortly."

There was a moment of silence before the hand that was holding mine squeezed and then left, leaving a cold absence there, "Uh sorry, I read somewhere that physical contact can like help a person going through something like this with like staying grounded and stuff." She chuckled quietly and then cleared her throat, "Sorry, didn't mean to be weird about it."

I squint open my eyes, letting them adjust to the light but still wincing when they do at how bright everything actually was, the walls a sad grey. I was in a hospital, the beeping said as much and the machines around me only made it all the more clear.

Then my attention turned to the girl next to me, "Holy shit, park girl." The shock in my voice was laughable, it was left hoarse and cracking but you could still tell I didn't expect her to be there.

"Sup." A small smile lay on her face, her dark eyes looking over every part of me.

"What are you doing here? I mean, why are you here?" My face scrunches up in confusion, surely she had better places to be. Why was she even here in the first pla-

"I was the one that found you."

"Oh." There was a pause, everything came back to me then. Leaving the park, getting home, seeing my dad on the couch and making the stupid decision of not going straight to my room. I broke suddenly then, "I'm so fucking sorry, this is all my fault."

She took my hand back in hers, "Hey no, don't do that. This was not your fault. I don't know you and I don't know what you've been through or what happened but I know this is not your fault okay?"

Before I could respond or rebuttal the doctor came in with pain medication, "Okay this should help with the pain, though it seems you've managed quite well on your own with waking up. I'll just need to check through a few things and then I'll leave you to rest." With that he begun checking over me, asking about the pain and if I remembered any of what happend and then went on his way after writing a few things down.

The pain now was a dull ache, letting me know its there every so often with sending sharp shooting pains through my body, the girl stayed quiet and watching, not saying much more to me but remaining with a worried look on her face.

"I never got your name." I whispered.

"Huh?"

"I never got your name, park girl." She looked at me wide eyed and a silent 'oh' formed on her mouth, "Phoebe, I'm Phoebe."

"It's nice to meet you Phoebe."

--------------------

AUTHORS NOTE

Aaannd they finally know each others name, the Phoebe less formally of course but we're getting somewhere!!!

I hope you lot are enjoying this, comments and things are really appreciated!

Have a nice day/night everyone :)