Tortured

I wasn't actually late, in fact I still had around 10 minutes to get to where I needed to be and I wasn't any less than 5 minutes away from the bar. I needed a quick way out before everything came crumbling around me and pretending time was of the essence seemed a lot less rude than outright refusing the girls help.

Today had already started off badly and I didn't want the added guilt of being rude to a person who only wanted to help me make it worse, so I ran. Something I'd always been good at. If I ran there was no chance for me to be hurt and that seemed like a very dangerous situation for something like that.

The girl, Julien, seemed kind. She had this way of presenting her thoughts that made it hard for someone to misunderstand them, even in a wave of panicked rambling her words were chosen carefully. I liked that about her, however her blatant power to be able to read someone as easily as she had made my stomach churn and was inevitably what made the choice to run easy.

I just hoped that was the first and only run in I would have to have with the brunette.

As I neared the bar, the last bits of haziness left my system entirely, giving way to a flood of anxiety and dread as the loud streets took over my senses instead. The pills did their job, they lasted me until I had to start working and now I had to survive the next few hours. Hopefully with a little bit of liquor to take the edge off.

Finally, the sign of the bar came in to view and I made my way up to the heavy door, bracing myself before enter.

Let the torture begin.

The bar wasn't the biggest inside, but it wasn't small either. The place was an old kind of tavernesque hole-in-the-wall with lanterns and paintings dotted around, small pillars standing tall at different points weaved with vines of fake leaves. On one side was a long bar cluttered with different sized glasses and bar mats and at the center was a raised stage, set up with mics and speakers and different musical instruments ready for whoever they'd managed to get for live music. Today was a karaoke night, so upon entering, the croaky voices of two very drunk gentlemen rung out around the space.

I had managed to make my way through the sweaty bodies and in to the bar area where I was greeted by the grinning face of my co-worker, Faye, "Nice of you to join us."

No one was this happy to be at work.

"Oh what a joy it is to be here!" I replied sarcastically chipper. A broad, forced grin made its way on to my face, which only caused Faye to let out a chuckle and shake her head slightly, "Oh you know you love it really."

"I love the free booze." I deadpanned, making my way over to my place for the night and grabbing a clean glass from the wrack, a young man already standing and waiting to be served,

"What can I get for you today." The switch to my customer service voice was instant, the man smirked slightly and leaned further on to his side of the bar, "How about your number pretty lady."

And so it begins, not even 5 minutes in to my shift, it must be a new record, "Sir I'll have to politely decline, I'm working and well, you really aren't my type." I tried my hardest not to seethe out but this guy had really soured my already bitter mood.

The man just huffed and ordered his drink, seemingly butt-hurt at the idea someone isn't interested in him but quickly getting distracted by another woman he could possibly seduce. Oh the joys of working at a bar.

I shook my head and readied my own drink, not in the mood to deal with anyone else like that entirely sober. Although I knew I'd have to stay somewhat present in order to actually get some work done.

The majority of my shift seemed to have dragged on, I got the occasional comment from men who looked at least twice my age and altogether, it was a pretty shitty 5 hours.

Luckily, there was only another hour to go before I got to return to my solitude.

-----------------------------------------------------

AUTHORS NOTE!!!

Now I know I said chapters would get longer as the story progressed but, stupidly, I decide to write at like 2am and inevitably get too tired to write a sustainable amount of content, so they've stayed at around 700-760 words. I promise I'll get better at time management lmao

That being said, I hope you guys are enjoying this so far! Please feel free to leave comments and such, it helps me to know whether or not you're enjoying what I'm writing :)

Hope y'all have a great day/night