Poem #3 - Just Me

You said, it's just me, nothing else
I'm the only one who wipes the sweat off your forehead
I'm the only one who pokes your nose
You said, only my disgusted hand will caress your face
You'll only punch me in the arm when you want to get lost

Just me.
You say no one else will know the darkest parts of your heart
That I am the only one who can know you completely
You may have been faithful to what you said, but in fact, they came true
I'm the only one

Just me. Nothing else.

============================================================

Cluj-Napoca, Romania September, 23rd 1954

A shattered sound echoing in this room. A man glared at his wife. "Where is him!?" The woman only stood there silent, waiting for her fate that night. Catalin pulled her hair even harder because she ignores him.

She keeps begging to him, but he won't let her go. The more she whine, the stronger the husband grips her hair.

"Catalin, stop!" He looked at the door, then pushed her and makes her tripped. "You could kill her!" The man named Catalin sat at the table. He fills the empty glass with whiskey. The wife only can hold back her tears.

"She's cheating, mom." The woman shook her head. Denying his allegation.

"I'm not cheating, Catalin! I never..." Catalin storms out of the room and leaving two women alone inside. Georgeta picked the broom to clean the mess. None of them dare to speak. Catalin's mom walked to the cashier, then checked the income today.

She sighed. "How many times..."

"Catalin never allowed me to touch the cashier, okay? You can ask him," the mom only stared at her. Georgeta pulled the chair, then sits. She took a deep breath and looked at the wide window from inside their store. That evening, the spring breeze gently blows the tree. All leaves swiped as the wind keeps blow the street.

Georgeta walked towards the door, then she flips the signed. It's time to close. She walks to upstair where she likes to spending time alone there.

Flashback on

April, 14th 1943

"Georgeta!" She looks at the hall as Catalin runs towards her with a paper in his hand. Catalin shows the paper with a wide smile on his face. "I'm passed!" Georgeta covered her mouth and embrace him.

"Oh, my God. How's about..." a sound of explosion heard outside.

Catalin grabbed Georgeta's hand, then run for their lives. Scream mixed with explosion outside. German troop keeps shooting everything what they see. Catalin and Georgeta hide inside a cleaning cupboard.

They can hear the gunshot, scream, and explosion from the inside cleaning cupboard. Georgeta wants to scream as she heard a gunshot nearby them. Catalin covered her mouth with his hand.

"Shhh... I'm here..." Georgeta looks at Catalin's eyes. Catalin embrace his girlfriend, then petting her hair gently. "I will protect you, I promise."

Georgeta gripped Catalin's shirt collar tight and cried in silence. Catalin can feel her body was trembling.

Flashback off

Georgeta took a deep breath, then looks at the sky from the small window. She reminiscing Catalin's romantic side before German soldier attacked their country. Georgeta wiped her tears and as she looks at the picture with him standing in front of the store.

She smiles and tears fall from her eyes. "Is because of my dad, Catalin?" Georgeta wiped her tears and took a deep breath, then exhale it slowly.

Flashback on