Chapter 5: Investigation

The Investigation

"......ryan...."

"Yes! That's my name." Ryan's face lit up as the spirit box said his name. "Hello. Can you say River or Wyatt's names?"

"Dude......I'm getting smoke." River said as he panned his camera around the bar area.

Ryan sniffed the air and shook his head. "I don't smell it."

"How can you not smell that?"

Ryan shrugged and turned his back to River. "Is anyone there? Can you come up to the device at the end of the bar and touch it?" He motioned to the REM POD.

River gasped, jumping as he spun around behind him.

"What?"

"Something just touched my neck and whispered. In. My. Ear." Eyes wide, he looked at Wyatt in shock. "I swear it just said 'you're cute' or something like that."

Wyatt snorted. "You sure about that?" 

"Yeah." River made a face. 

"Okay, guys, focus." Ryan spoke up. "Does someone think River is cute?" 

"Should we sit down and see if we can play some cards?" Wyatt suggested. 

"Let's try lights out and do our energy circle. See if we can't get them to talk to us more." 

The trio set up the camera at the table next to them and sat, holding hands in the dark. A few minutes later, the air chilled. Wyatt's mouth dropped open as he turned his head towards the lobby. 

"Did you hear the horses?" He whispered as he turned back to the twins. 

"No shot?" River's eyes widened. 

"I don't hear anything" Ryan glanced at the camera to make sure it was still recording. "The mic might have caught that since it's facing that way. Can someone come in here and play poker with us? We need a fourth." He called out. 

Tapping on the bar behind River had them jumping. 

"Do you want to play?" Wyatt asked and gestured to the empty chair. "Buy in is two dollars." 

Ryan made a face at the redhead.

"What? I read up on poker terms before we started filming." Wyatt shrugged.

The twins chuckled.

An hour later, Ryan sighed. He pushed back his chair and stood. "Okay....I say we go upstairs to room 205 and see what we can get. We give it an hour and....." He checked the time on his phone. "It's almost two in the morning. We can still get some sleep before we fly back. If we don't get much more, we'll call it."

Grabbing their cameras, they headed up to the second floor and down the hall towards the room where their guide had said was the most haunted. 

Ryan slid the key into the lock and turned the handle, pushing on the door to open it. The door didn't budge. He tried again. "Maybe I locked it?" 

"Wait...." River said as the door creaked open at the second try. "....Hailey said the door is always locked. She never unlocked it." 

"You're right." Wyatt agreed. 

Ryan entered the room and looked around. "It's pretty dusty in here." 

Wyatt started to follow the twins into the room and stopped as he heard footsteps to his left. He stopped and turned around, aiming his camera towards the noise. 

"....handsome...." The spirit box called out. 

"Who's handsome? Can you say one of our names?" Ryan questioned as he sat down on the end of the bed. 

"Shit!" 

River and Ryan jumped at Wyatt's startled cry. "You okay? What happened?"

"Something just grabbed my ass!" 

"No way." River grinned, shaking his head.

"I heard footsteps and turned to look." Wyatt explained as he looked at the guys. "I felt something slap my ass. No lie."

"Were you just calling Wyatt handsome?" Ryan tried as he remembered the word a few minutes before Wyatt called out. "Did you just try and grab him?"

"Do you want Wyatt? You can have him. We'll leave him here for you." River tried. 

"Sorry." Wyatt shook his head. "I have to go home in a few hours. And you can't go with me. You have to stay here."

"...it was me...."

"What's your name?"

"Watch it say Big Jim or something." River teased and Ryan laughed. 

".....kiss....."

"You want to kiss Wyatt?" 

Wyatt shook his head. "No thanks. I'm good."

River smirked. "That's cause he's waiting on his kiss from Quinn."

"Oh yeahhhh." Ryan grinned as he remembered.

"Are you done?" Wyatt glared mockingly at the brothers. 

They sat in the room for another hour with no more activity. "Okay. Let's call it." Ryan said and stood, picking up the cat balls and the spirit box. "I had high hopes for this one." He said in disappointment. "Maybe we caught stuff off camera but I don't think so." They left the room and made sure it was locked behind them. 

****

Quinn pulled up into the arrivals lane and parked, seeing the guys heading out of the doors. Smiling, she opened the trunk and watched as they walked tiredly across the street. "You guys look exhausted. Did you sleep at all?"

"Maybe a few hours between the hotel and plane." River said as he slid one of the suitcases into the trunk. "I'm ready to sleep to noon on Saturday." 

Ryan hugged Quinn and let her go so he could put the bigger suitcase into the trunk. "Glad to be home though."

"Did you get anything good?"

"Wyatt got a girlfriend." River teased and Wyatt rolled his eyes. 

"Awwww." Quinn smiled. "That's sweet! What's her name?"

"We think it was Big Jim."

"What?!" 

Wyatt laughed and shook his head. "Ignore these idiots. Nothing happened. It was pretty uneventful." 

"That sucks. I'm sorry." She made sure the trunk was closed and the guys were all inside the car before she climbed into the driver's seat. "Sit back. Relax. And in thirty minutes or less, you'll be in your nice beds." Laughing, she pulled out of the parking lot and headed towards the house.