Chapter 5

Her black dress fit her perfectly and showed all the curves she had. Her face looked noticeable because of the eyeliner and gloss and her wavy hair straightened. She looked good. Just, good.

It was a big night, and she wasn't going to let two weird cops ruin anything. It was her premiering. Everything had to be about that and not about the dead girl.

The dead girl.

Even though she felt weak and exhausted, she had to look fierce. It was her night.

Her ankles hurt at every step as she went up the grand staircase in her stilletoes. The staircase was full of old, rich people, but there was someone that caught her eye. It was a young, good looking , really good looking man looking her way. She knew him from somewhere. She could not put a finger on it.

She bumped into an old man and apologised, only to see it was Roger Craig, another American billionaire in France. Roger kissed her hand and said "Dianna. Meet my son, Jesse . " pointing at the same young man who was staring at Dianna , in a kind way, a few seconds ago.

Jesse.

Her crush from Law school.

He walked up to them. "Yes. We already know each other. "

He let his father talk for a while, and when he could not wait longer, said "Care for a drink before the show?"

Looking at him brought back good memories, because he was there in her life before she got screwed up. He was the good she had before she got the bad.

"Yes, of course. "

He really was good looking. Even better now . His eyes were deep blue, with a volume of curly hair and a devastating smile. She realized he hadn't changed at all.

He still had the sweet sense of humour and unnatural chivalry.

They talked about Law school and common friends. She had more than just a drink and she knew it.

"I should go. "

"I have somewhere to be. I'll be there for the second half. " he said, smiling brightly and walked away.

The lights faded , the curtains drew, and so began 'Rose'.

Every once in a while, someone would pat Dianna on the back or raise a glass at her. As the first half ended and the second began, she started to look for Jesse. He wasn't there. She wanted him to be, but she didn't see him.

*****************************************

The clock at the staion read 9:37. She couldn't see another person waiting for the train and she liked it that way. She stared at her ID.

Angela Buez

Age: 19 yrs.

None of that would matter in a few minutes. She'd find a new identity and start a new life with the man she loved. She couldn't hold her smile. That was until something hard hit her head.

She collapsed. Before her vision completely faded out, she saw a man in black with a knife in his hand.

Her scream didn't reach any helpful ear.

******************************************

Dianna had always lacked humility. When people told her she had done a wonderful job, she just said "tell me about it." , grinning like a 10 year old.

Nothing could be done about it. She wasn't modest.

Even as the people crowded on, she could spot Jesse. She scooted out of the crowd and grabbed the drink he got for her.

"I didn't see you there. " she said, taking a sip.

"I have a special seating arrangement. " . He pointed at the projection and lighting room.

She laughed. It was usually Felix who made her laugh.

Felix. She forgot about him.

She stood on her toes and looked for him over the shoulders until she finally saw him walking towards her. She went ahead and wrapped her arms around him.

"You were brilliant. "

"Thanks to you. " he said, kissing her cheek lightly.

But his gaze was fixed at Jesse. She realized she had to introduce them. But before she could begin, Jesse stretched his hand forward.

"You're a lucky man, Felix. Getting to work with her. "

"That I am. " Felix said without smiling.

Great. They already knew each other. But the way they shook hands was intense.

Felix didn't like Jesse, she could tell. Jesse didn't seem impressed either. And the rest of the night, she figured, was going to be awkward.