Part 1

We live in a world where night is feared by all. A world where the day is peace and the night is hell. A world where the study of life is intolerable. One who doubts the living is condemned to death. My name is Phaedra Stone and I study everything that goes against our times. Why do they fear the night? Why do they not want us to study life?

    My father taught History in university and as a child, he would tell me all about it. As far as I know, night has always been feared for what stalked our streets. I would always listen to mama and be in the house as the sun came down. My big brother always made sure that where ever me and our little sister were, we were safe home by sunset. I never doubted my parents and big brother that the night was dangerous. Practically every day on the news we would hear of another child or adult who had been killed after the sun went down.

    As I grew older I started disobeying my parents more and more, my brother started doing his things and not giving a damn about me and my sister. On June 15th, Jeff stayed at a friend’s place but he never came back to us. After two weeks of having not even a phone call from him, the news said he had been found in a forest... dead. I rebelled on that precise day, his death brought in me new questions. What exactly were we keeping away from? Why did it kill?

    A few weeks later, I stayed out longer then I should have. I was celebrating my 16th birthday with my friends and we had decided to have a scare party at the cemetery. At sunset, they all left except for the courageous ones who shared the same questions I had. Our questions were answered as soon as the sun was out of sight.

    The shadows grew from the forest surrounding as night claimed our land. We were sitting in a circle, three of us watching different directions, back to back. Nothing happened and we decided my brother’s and all those other deaths had been coincidences and continued fooling around. At midnight, we left to go back home. I went my way and they went together their way. That was when I met my brother’s killer.

    ‘’Going home alone?’’ asked a hissing voice behind me.

    ‘’Maybe,’’ I answered not turning around.

    ‘’Shouldn’t be out so late. You know the dangers, don’t you?’’ The voice had gotten closer to my ear and the hissing sound became more threatening.

    I turned my head in panic but no one was there. I did a whole turn on place looking around.

    ‘’You won’t find me, darling. I’m part of the shadows. Yours maybe.’’ The voice was whispering into my ear. I tried to remain calm as I thought of something to do.

    ‘’You’re what we all fear, aren’t you? You’re the one who killed my brother?’’ I asked.

    ‘’You do fear me after all. No, sweetheart. We did not kill your brother. We gave him what he wanted. Answers and a new life.’’ Answered the voice, hissing the ‘s’ into my ear.

    ‘’Let me see him then.’’ I said, feeling brave.

    ‘’I’m already here, sis. But as he said, we’re part of the shadows.’’ whispered Jeff’s voice into my ear.

    ‘’Show yourself, then, Jeff. Show me that you’re not dead.’’

    ‘’If I do, you’ll tell your parents and they’ll think you’re crazy. Phaedra, once out at this time, you cannot go back to that life. Whatever you see, hear or feel now will make them think you’re crazy.’’ Jeff answered with his still soft, caring voice.

    ‘’Then let me come with you.’’

    ‘’Is that what you really wish, little mortal?’’ Hissed the voice.