EIGHT

DEVON STOOD NEXT TO DICK'S CAR WITH HER ARMS CROSSED OVER HER CHEST

DEVON STOOD NEXT TO DICK'S CAR WITH HER ARMS CROSSED OVER HER CHEST. "I can't believe my jacket is ruined." The teen huffed. Rachel smiled at her and they both turned to look at Gar who was saying goodbye to his family. He made his way to the girls and they all got in the car.

The group got to a rundown motel. Devon looked around at the almost empty parking lot, goosebumps running on her skin.

"I still can't believe you traded in the Porsche for a minivan." Gar groaned next to Devon.

"At least we can all fit in." Dick reasoned.

"I like the van." Kory admitted.

"We're not actually staying here, are we?" Rachel.

"You know, there's probably a nicer place down the road." Kory turned to Dick smiling.

"We're being hunted by sociopaths. Nicer places draw attention." Dick stated.

"Yeah, well, they also make it easier to sleep." Devon tried.

"One road in, same road out. Only one point of access we have to watch." Dick continued. "And also, it's quiet. If trouble comes our way, we should hear it first. And who said anything about sleeping?"

The group sat Dick's room and he gave the keys out. "All right, guys, listen up. We're all in one piece, more or less." Devon arched her brow. "We need to figure out where we stand and determine what's mission critical."

""Mission critical"?" Devon repeated.

"Is that a cop thing?" Gar asked. "Sounds like a cop thing."

"I had some combat training when I was younger." Dick said.

"And he's a cop." Rachel remarked.

"I'm sorry, you were referring to "we"?" Kory.

""We" as of right now are a group of people who share a common enemy." Dick stated.

"Which makes us what?" Kory questioned.

"Let's call it an alliance. One born of mutual need." Dick. "We have no idea how long we have until they find us"

"You just said "they." Who are they? What do they want?" Gar asked.

"We don't know who they are, but they want me." Rachel said and Devon nodded.

"The people that attacked us fought in unison. They were perfectly coordinated, we're not." Dick said. "We can't fight like that unless we learn each other's moves."

"And how do you suggest we do that?" Devon questioned the adult.

"We stick together and we train."

...

THE GROUP NOW STOOD IN A BARN, DICK STANDING IN FRONT OF THEM. "Okay, in order to work together, fight and defend yourselves like a coordinated team, we gotta see what each other can do. Any volunteers?" Dick looked at the group, everyone looking at other directions. Devon looked down at her feet, moving them around creating patterns in the dirt.