𝐇𝐁𝐏 𝟐𝟒

Once back under the starry sky, Harry concentrated harder than he had ever done upon his destination: Hogsmeade. Closing his eyes, gripping Dumbledore's and Emily's arm as tightly as he could, he stepped forward into that feeling of horrible compression.

Emily knew it had worked before she opened her eyes: The smell of salt, the sea breeze had gone. She, Harry and Dumbledore were shivering and dripping in the middle of the dark High Street in Hogsmeade.

For one horrible moment Emily's imagination showed her more Inferi creeping toward her around the sides of shops, but she blinked and saw that nothing was stirring; all was still, the darkness complete but for a few streetlamps and lit upper windows.

"We did it, Professor!" Harry whispered with difficulty; he suddenly realized that he had a searing stitch in his chest. "We did it! We got the Horcrux!"

Dumbledore staggered against him. For a moment, Harry thought that his inexpert Apparition had thrown Dumbledore off balance; then he saw his face, paler and damper than ever in the distant light of a streetlamp.

"Sir, are you all right?"

"I've been better," said Dumbledore weakly, though the corners of his mouth twitched. "That potion . . . was no health drink. . . ."

And to Harry's horror, Dumbledore sank onto the ground, seconds before Emily did too.

"Sir — Emily- it's okay, you're going to be all right, don't worry —" He looked around desperately for help, but there was nobody to
be seen and all he could think was that he must somehow get Dumbledore and Emily quickly to the hospital wing.

"We need to get you both up to the school, . . . Madam Pomfrey . . ."

"No," said Dumbledore. "It is . . . Professor Snape whom I need. . . . But I do not think . . . I can walk very far just yet. . . ."

"Right — sir, listen — I'm going to knock on a door, find a place you can stay — then I can run and get Madam —"

"Severus," said Dumbledore clearly. "I need Severus. . . ."

"Just get Snape, Harry!" Emily shouted, although she was shouting at him, Harry realised that she was slowly getting her strength back.

"All right then, Snape — but I'm going to have to leave you for a moment so I can —"

Before Harry could make a move, however, he heard running footsteps. His heart leapt: Somebody had seen, somebody knew they needed help — and looking around he saw Madam Rosmerta scurrying down the dark street toward them on high-heeled, fluffy slippers, wearing a silk dressing gown embroidered with dragons.

"I saw you Apparate as I was pulling my bedroom curtains! Thank goodness, thank goodness, I couldn't think what to — but what's wrong with Albus? And this poor girl?"

She came to a halt, panting, and stared down, wide-eyed, at Dumbledore and Emily.

"He's hurt and Emily's very weak," said Harry. "Madam Rosmerta, can they come into the Three Broomsticks while I go up to the school and get help for them?"

"You can't go up there alone! Don't you realize — haven't you seen — ?

"If you help me support them," said Harry, not listening to her, "I think we can get them inside —"

"What has happened?" asked Dumbledore.
"Rosmerta, what's wrong?"

"The — the Dark Mark, Albus."

And she pointed into the sky, in the direction of Hogwarts. Dread flooded Emily at the sound of the words. . . . She slowly turned and looked.