Ch. 30 *Cornered*

*1 week later*
LUNA

"...at least you're feeling better," I gently push aside a strand of curly hair away from Marko's brow as he lays on the couch, hands behind his head and his Chesire cat grin making my whole world shake.

I was so scared that he would die.
But, he made it.
He was extremely malnourished, and that's from going without blood as long as he did.

That and he was sunburnt on his chest and back.
It didn't get him too bad though, but he does have some permanent skin damage, meaning the spots where he was burned will always stay red

But luckily, he's been gaining his health, slowly but surely.
We're officially out of the woods now and on the road to recovery.

He chuckles, looking up at me.
"I told you, through thick and thin," he says, reaching one hand up to caress my cheek.

I lean into his touch.
He lowers his hand, yawning just a little from me waking him up ten minutes ago.

I stand up. "You should rest," I lay a blanket on him, reaching up to feel his forehead. "Do you need anything?"

He laughs softly, "no thanks, mommy," he laughs, but I roll my eyes, deep down, finding his joke funny.
"To be honest, I'm healthy enough to get up and do things, but," he stretches, as if he's living the life of luxury.

"It's nice having Paul be my slave," he winks at me.
I laugh, kissing him goodbye before I take my leave.
I start to walk towards the exit, but I stop when I feel a shy pair of eyes staring at me intensively.

I look behind me, only to see Star standing in her doorway.
But just as fast as I met her gaze, she closed her curtains and laid on her bed, back facing me.

My heart breaks.
She's been doing this for a week, refusing to talk to me, and just hiding away in her room.

She won't talk to anyone.
I asked Dwayne if she is acting normal to them, but he shook his head.
He told me that ever since that night I brought Marko home, she's barely murmured a word to them.

The night we fought, she left and didn't come back for hours, but I waited for her the entire time.
I wanted to tell her I'm sorry, that I love her. That I didn't mean a word I said.

When she did come home, I instantly ran to her, apologizing over and over again.

Though my words meant nothing to her.

"I won't keep you from Marko," she told me, "but it's best if we keep our distance."

And with that, she's shut me out.
Not just me, but everyone.

For a week, I've been giving her what she wants, but tonight, I find myself pushing her curtains aside and going to her bed, sitting down.
She clutches a pillow in her arms, holding it against her chest, curled into a small ball.

She refuses to look at me.

"Star?" I gently touch her arm, "you okay?"
No reply.

I sigh, my shoulders slouching forward.
"I feel awful about our fight," I whisper, remembering all the hurtful things I said. "I shouldn't have gone that far. You only had my best interest at heart," I say, licking my lips, "and with what happened after the fight, you becoming a vampire...it's okay."