Ch. 26 *You Remind Me Of Someone*

LUNA

*Memory flashback*

"Why can't we hang out tonight Star?" I hug her tightly, even while she tries to escape my grasp.
It feels like its been forever since I've spent one on one time with my best friend and sister.
I guess boyfriend's will do that to you.
"Because," she exhales annoyed, finally getting my arms off her, "I promised Michael I'd meet him tonight."
"But you always see him!" I whine.
She rolls her eyes. "Look, why don't you spend some time with the guys? Maybe... distract them for me?"
My jaw drops slightly. She doesn't want to hang out with me, BUT she DOES want to use me as her distraction that way she can run off and be with Michael?!
How rude...
I almost tell her no, but in a way, it means I'll be with Marko tonight.
I sigh. "Alright, I'll distract them.

*End of flashback*

Now, an hour later, I'm at a train bridge with Marko and Dwayne.
David didn't want to hang out, and honestly? I'm kind of glad he wasn't going to be there.

Marko seemed a little pleased as well, but I don't know why.
Paul was passed out on the cave floor from God knows what.
But Dwayne agreed to come with us and hang.

To be honest, it gives me some good bonding moments with Dwayne.
He's the quietest one in the group, but he's very nice.

Right now, I'm sitting beside him on the edge of the bridge, watching Marko play dare devil.
And by that I mean, jumping off the bridge, doing backflips, and taking flight before he hits the ground.

I don't know how many times he's done that...

Dwayne glances at me. "You know, you remind me of someone."
"Oh?" I look at Dwayne, surprised by this sudden mention. "And whose that?"

"My sister," he smiles softly, but it's a sad, faraway smile.
"She died long ago from cancer. But you remind me a lot of her. You look like her, too."

"I'm sorry," I say, but he shakes his head.
"It's alright," he exhales, "she died when she was your age, sixteen but..." He trails off, eyes glancing down to the ground. "I can't help but wonder the woman she'd be now..."

His fist clenches at his side as he licks his lips and glance around our surroundings.
"She used to follow me around everywhere I went on the Reservation. Back then, I used to hate it. But now, I miss it."

"What was her name?" I ask.
He looks at me. "Tashina," he replies, "after our grandmother."
"I'm so sorry," I whisper, putting a comforting hand on his shoulder.

"She's in a better place," he whispers, "and what matters is if I keep her spirit alive through the memories I have of her."
I open my mouth to speak, before he pulls out a bear tooth necklace with red and black beads.

My eyes widen.
"This was hers," he whispers, before gently lifting it over my head to let it hang on my neck.
"But I want to give it to you."

"Dwayne..." I touch it, "I-I can't accept this."
This is too sentimental, how could he give me his sister's necklace while he barely knows me?

He shakes his head, smiling. "It's okay. Tashina would want you to have it. Besides," he touches it, "the bear tooth symbolizes strength, and courage. It should bring you those things when you feel weak, or to scared to go on."

"Dwayne," I whisper, before throwing my arms around him in a hug. "Thank you, thank you so much."
"Your welcome," he looks over my shoulder and laughs. "Marko looks absolutely shocked."

I turn, and begin to giggle.
Marko's jaw is dropped, and his eyes are wide as he stares at us.
I let Dwayne go. "I should go to him."

"Yeah," Dwayne smiles, "you know, I'm glad your his Mate. Marko he...he's had a rough hand in life, and even rougher hand by becoming a vampire. But since you came into his life, you've really helped him. He cares about you a lot."

"I care about him too," I whisper, blowing Marko a kiss and smiling.
Dwayne chuckles. "If he ever treats you bad, send him to me. I'll personally kick his butt."

I laugh, waving Dwayne goodbye and running into Marko's arms.
He picks me up and spins me.

These two guys...
I've grown to really care and love them.
I hope nothing ever takes them away from me.

(This was more like a bonus chapter, but I wanted to write some bonding between Dwayne and Luna🙈)