Ch. 7 *I Left You Behind*

STAR

She said my name...how-how did she know my name?
Paul comes into view, kneeling down and staring at the girl who just passed out from hitting her head.

He makes a noise in the back of his throat, pushing her head to the side to see the blood pour.
He smirks. "Mmm," he licks his lips, "she smells sweet."
I try to swallow the bile that just came into my mouth.

David is the next one to kneel. "She looks familiar," he whispers, before realization sinks in his brow. "And I know where. This is the girl that was coming out of Max's video store."

"But why is she here?" Marko asks, his arms crossed over his chest as he stares down at her. "Why would she follow us?"
They all talk over each other, but it's all muffled to me.

All I can think about was what happened moments ago. The way she looked at me, like I was what she's been searching for for so long. The pain, but joyful look deep in her eyes as she whispered my name...
"Star?"

My heart beat speeds up.

"...well, there's only one thing we can do," David shapes into his vampire form, "we need to kill her."
Kill her.

I'm brought back to reality, and I look over at David whose ready to sink his teeth in her neck.
I push him away with all my strength. "You stay away from her! You just stay away!" I scream, guarding her with my body. "She's just a young girl..."

David shapes back into his human form, eyes blazing in fury at me.
I don't let go of this girl.

"Well we better do something and fast!" Paul shouts before he starts to pace the cave. "Its obvious this girl got hurt. We can't take her to a hospital, we don't know who she is or WHERE she lives, and I'm practically starving!"

Dwayne growls under his breath a little at Paul's temper tantrum.
David though, stares at us. "Your going to be the one to take care of her."
"Me?" I ask, a little surprised.
David walks towards the cave exit with the other three. "She doesn't know that we're vampires. Get her to wake up, and when she's awake, get her the hell out of her. Hopefully, the knock to the head will alter her memory."

David disappears up the steps along with Dwayne, Paul, and Marko, leaving me alone with this stranger.
I glance down at her, realizing that her blood is getting all over my arm.
It needs to get treated and tied.

I bring her unconscious body up and throw her arm across my shoulders, and I drag her to my bed.
I lay her down on her stomach, pushing aside some of her dark hair to see the damage down.
Her head is swollen, and there is a lot of blood coming out.

I run and get some fresh water, and one of Marko's crop tops, ripping it into bandages.
He's gonna be pissed, but I don't care.
I clean her head and tie it before I flip her onto her back and prop her up.

I sit in the chair closest to the bed, and I stare at her.
Her hair is long and dark, running past her shoulders. She has a little mole near her lips, and she wears a skirt just like me.

Staring at her, I'm reminded of someone I used to know.
My younger sister, Luna.
A pain shoots through my heart, making me raise a clenched hand over it.

I didn't want to leave Luna, my little sister, my best friend. But I couldn't stand being in that house any longer.
I was always teased about my way of living...how I dressed, how my parents never had a TV.
Bullies would pick on me, rip my skirts, and push me down the stairway at school.

At some point, I became angry at everything. The world, my parents...
I wanted to escape it. So, I did the only thing I thought was right.
Running away.

I still have a clear image of Luna running after me in the rain, screaming my name, pleading that I don't go...
I left my sister behind. My family...all for what?

For this life?

I exhale deeply, bringing my hands to my face.
I would give anything just to see Luna, Mom, and Dad again. Even if it was from a distance. I just want to know how they are.
Luna would be 16 by now...I have so many questions I want to ask her.

If she still wants to be a Veterinarian? If Jacob O'Brien (Luna's crush when she was nine) was her first kiss?
If she sings and dances like she did when she was seven?

All these questions swim in my head, and I will never have answers for any of them.
I can never go back home, to Leavenworth Washington. I'm not the same anymore...
My fate was sealed when David passed me that bottle with the red liquid.

I'll never be the same again.

The girl grunts a little beside me, and I look at her.
In a strange way...I can't help but get the feeling that she resembles Luna.
It's a ridiculous thought. I don't know who this girl is, but...

The girl opens her eyes slowly, before she sits up in a rush.
"Wha-where- where am I?!" Her eyes bounce around in pure panic, and I stand up. "Calm down," I whisper, pushing her back down in a laying position.

She stares at me, not saying a single word. But that look is in her eyes again...
This girl knows me. Somehow.

"What...are you going to do to me?" She asks.
"I'm not going to do anything," I reply before I sit again. "But you're not the only one with questions."

I stare into her eyes. "How do you know my name?"