Ch. 12 *The Truth*

LUNA

I blink once, twice, and a third time. I haven't seen Star since that day
I went into the cave and she said that weird thing.
Speaking of that...it reminds me to ask her.
But right now, I'm to sad to ask what she meant.

I just wanna crawl into a hole and continue to cry.
To bad there's not a hole in sight...

I wipe my eyes. "Hey Star."
She sits close beside me, bringing her knees up to her chest just like me.
One arm wraps comfortingly around my shoulders, running one hand up and down my arm.

The touch startles me on the inside.
It's something I've missed so much. Whenever I was hurt or sad, she would do this exact thing.
She'd have her arm around me, as her hand ran up and down.

It keeps hitting me in the face that Star is actually here...not just a figment of my imagination.

"What's wrong?" She asks.
Thats when I break down into another wave of sobs.
I lean into her. "There's this guy," I begin my story, "I've known him for a month practically, and- and I've developed feelings for him."

"Mhm," Star says.

"Tonight we came to the boardwalk to hang out and-" my voice cracks, "he said he didn't like me back."

"Aww..." She squeezes me with both arms, "I'm sorry LuLu..."
"It sucks!" I sob, "I probably messed up our friendship! He probably won't ever want to see me again."

"What's his name?" She asks softly.
I sniffle. "Michael."

"Michael?" Her head snaps up, and she releases her grip on me. "Michael who?"
I furrow my brow at her reaction.
"Michael Emerson," I reply slowly.
Her lips part, eyes falling to the floor beneath our feet.

"Star?"

She glances at me with worried eyes, but before I can ask what's wrong, and why she got all weird, she stands up.
"It's probably for the best that you don't hang out with him anymore, Luna."
"What?" I stand up as well. "Why?"

"Because," she states, saying nothing else.
I come to my breaking point.
I'm tired of this game, where she says something confusing and won't answer my questions.

I'm tired of having her refuse to come back home.
I WANT MY SISTER BACK!

I grab her by the arm and forcefully pull her towards me.
She gasps in shock. "Luna?! What are you-"
"Talk to me, Star!" I say to her, a whisper shout as I squeeze her wrist, afraid she'll disappear again if I let her go.

She stares at me wide eyed.

"What's going on with you?!" I shout, "why do you live in a cave?! Why are you with those four guys?! Why haven't you come search for me?! WHY WON'T YOU COME BACK HOME?!"

I don't realize that I'm a shouting until I see her eyes widen even more, and her breathing becoming a little heavy.
I was squeezing her wrist pretty hard, and when I let her go, I see nail marks in her skin.

I let my arm fall to my side.
We're both silent, a tension between us that's unbearable.
I don't know what to say or do, I'm scared it'll only push her even farther away from me.

Star tucks a piece of hair behind her ear. "I knew it would only be bad since you found me."

Bad? BAD?!

She turns away.
"Why? Star it's a GOOD thing I've found you! After six years of praying, six years of BEGGING the Divine for your safe return back home, it finally has happened! But why are you making it so hard?!"

"Because I'm not who I used to be anymore!" She shouts back, breathing heavily from her sudden outburst.

A moment of silence stretches between us.
Star brings her hands up to her face, falling to her knees, crying.
I kneel in front of her.

"Star..." I whisper, "please...help me understand."
I reach for her hands and lower them, seeing her face tear streaked and bright red.
She doesn't say anything.

"Sis," I wipe her tear, "it's okay."
"It's not okay!" She shouts, "none of this is okay! You were never supposed to find me!"

"But why?" I ask, "don't you care about our family anymore?"
"I do care about you," she whispers, "I love you all so much that I'm afraid of coming back. Of hurting our family..."

"How could you hurt us, Star?" I ask, these damn questions keep swirling in my head, refusing to get answered by Star.
She keeps talking in circles...

Her breathing is shaky, and her eyes are red from how hard she's cried.

"Luna..." She exhales softly. "I'm a vampire."

(Special shout-out to JamieWood821 for helping me come up with the plot of this chapter!!!)