Back In Place [Final]

Maybe it had been the end. Keith wasn't waking up on the ground in Honerva's mind like he was expecting if the serum had worked. He was back on earth...in one of the Garrison hospital beds. It was just like the first time he'd woken up after the war. Krolia was there and everything felt all too familiar to him.

Keith tried to force himself to sit up. He looked around with a dazed expression. "W—what happened?" He asked.

Krolia nudged her son. "We won the war."

Keith felt a sharp pain in his chest. "But? Am I dead? Did it not work?" He felt his neck and arms, searching for any sign that the serum had been injected into him. He felt nothing.

"Did what not work?" Confused, Krolia grew in concern.

"The—" Keith tried to jump out of his bed but he was all caught up in tubes and wires. "Ugh" He tore the IV out of his arm and made a break for the doorway.

He stumbled into the hall, bashing his shoulders on doorframe. He met eyes with Sam down the hall and he caught his breath before walking toward him unsteadily.

"The wars over?"

"Yeah, of course!" Sam beamed. "You kids are gonna be okay." He put his hands on Keith's shoulders and smiled proudly.

"Where's Y/N?" Keith rasped.

"A couple doors down. She's still sleeping." Sam's expression, which was initially so hopeful, shifted to something far more grim. "Coleen is watching over her."

Keith stormed into Y/N's room and was met with a wide eyed, exhausted Coleen. Y/N was sleeping, at least that was what Keith hoped. The marks on her body were worse than ever before and she looked like she was struggling to hold on.

"I can—uh," Keith swallowed hard. "I can take over, if you would like to rest."

"You're still recovering as well, Keith." Coleen urged him to sit down in a chair beside Y/N's bed. "I'll be alright. Thank you for offering, though."

"No, it's alright." Keith assured. "I'm feeling fine. Won't be sleeping for a while anyways."

Coleens eyes became glassy and she reached out and engulfed Keith in a hug he never was expecting. "Thank you. I'm so sorry for everything that has happened."

Keith shrugged weakly. "Is she going to be okay?"

"Should be," Coleen took a deep breath. "She's tough. The serum she made worked."

"The—" Keith felt his stomach shrivel up and drop. He then shook his head and refused to say anything else. "Go get some rest. I'll let you know if anything happens."

With that, Coleen left with a warm, thankful smile. Sam met her outside in the hall and Keith knew she was going to be alright. Y/N, on the other hand, he wasn't so sure.

Keith sat for a while with his head in his hands. Everything was so confusing. What did Coleen mean by saying the serum worked? Had it been in his suit? Or had it been somewhere else?

A soft knock came at the door. It was Pidge and Matt. Keith lifted his eyes and nod toward them, as if to say they were allowed in. Matt sat in the chair beside Keith and Pidge situated herself on the bed with Y/N.

"That was weird, huh?" Pidge asked.

Keith pursed his lips and clamped his hands together, leaning forward. "You felt it too?"

"Yeah. The timeline got fixed or something. It fell into place just as it should have. We didn't even need to fight out the rest of the war. At least us paladins didn't. Everyone else did." She shrugged. "It all turned out alright though."