What's A Waste?

Y/N wandered her way through the rather unfamiliar maze of the Garrison halls. Like many other people her age, Y/N wasn't entirely sure of where she was going or what she was doing. Her life thus far had been a constant case of bouncing from one place to another, learning new things and never staying in once place very long. She took any opportunity that caught her eye and waited to see where it led her in the world.

One message, in particular, haphazardly taped up in the entrance to the Garrison's rebel base did just that: enticed her curiosity in every way possible. It was requesting volunteers who were willing to go out into space and help with the coalitions humanitarian team. They were obviously low on numbers and desperate for people who were willing to be away from earth for weeks on end with rough beds and small meals. It wouldn't be the most comfortable job...Y/N knew that. What it would be, however, was an adventure. One she wanted to embark on. Besides, working here in the base with the other rebels decoding messages was beginning to get mundane. Of all people in the world, Y/N was the the most insufferable when she was bored.

All of that was what brought her here, to a small room in the middle of the afternoon. Inside was a boy hunched over at a computer, his golden brown eyes scanning the screen ridiculously fast. He was the only one in there, which made Y/N think she was either early or the only one crazy enough to do this. Which, in the grand scheme of things, seemed pretty likely.

The girl tiptoed towards the door and pushed it open, immediately meeting eyes with the boy. She smiled sheepishly and held up the poster in her hands. "Hey, uh, Matt?"

Jumping up, the boy nearly sent the room into shambles. Cords flew everywhere and he just barely stopped the table from tipping over. He sighed in reproach, reorganizing his things before looking back up to Y/N. She must've had a horrified look on her face because his returned it with an equally crooked smile.

"Yes! Here for the rebel recruitment?" Matt stepped around the table and up to Y/N where he shook her hand happily.

"Yeah..." Y/N raised a brow. "Am I the only one?"

The boy pursed his lips and shrugged his shoulders. "Right now, yes. And me, of course." He laughed.

"Oh? You're coming as well? Not just the organizer?" Y/N asked.

"You bet," He affirmed. "Don't let the computers fool you, I was second in command of the rebel fleets during the war. Not to be cocky, but I am more than just a space nerd."

Y/N laughed lightly. "Cool. So, fill me in."

Sitting down at the small table across from Matt, he explained anything and everything that could've been important about this mission. Who they were helping, what condition the planet was in...etcetera. His rambling went on for nearly two hours before it ceased to a forced entry into the room. It was his little sister, the green paladin. Or, Pidge as everyone at the Garrison really knew her as.

After having her talk for a while, one other guy showed up in the room and Matt wrapped up the details for their trip. James, one of the pilots was the last person Y/N expected to show up. But, more helping hands was better than none. Even with the limited numbers, the kids had no issues packing up their supplies and taking off before the day was up.

Being in space was a strange sensation for Y/N. This was the first time she'd been off of earth and was going to a place she knew nothing about. But, she didn't mind. Lately, she hadn't really been enjoying herself on Earth so this was the best thing she could do to possibly fix her situation.

Even better, the ride in the ship with her limited crew mates didn't take long. With the advanced Altean tech and help from the Olkari, these ships were probably the fastest the universe currently had. When the group landed, they all decided to settle in for some rest before they got to work. Y/N, however, was wide awake and figured she should probably go find this guy who was supposedly in charge of the whole mission. If nothing else, she'd get to explore the surrounding area a little bit.