And So It Begins

Y/N just so happened to stick by his side, just as he'd been hoping for for so, so long. Admittedly, after some of the stunts he'd pulled on the first few missions, he was afraid he'd scared Y/N off. He certainly had James and Matt hurrying home to the Garrison. Y/N though, never lost that sense of adventure his younger self had found such a good friend in. Sure, he got a smack to the back of the head every once and a while for pretending the controls were busted and they were going to crash...but it was worth it. He liked having Y/N back. It almost felt like they were kids again.

Keith hadn't laughed so hard since he was a kid. Y/N brought back a distant sense of lightheartedness and fun to life, something he wasn't sure he'd ever feel again.

Hiding away inside of his ship from the locals they had just delivered supplies to, Keith stared out the front window, watching Y/N. There was no next planet they had to be rushing off to, so Y/N insisted they stay for a while and get to know the locals. Keith wasn't a fan of the plan but what else were they going to do? Fly around in empty space? Yeah, not worth the resources.

Y/N was laughing along with some of the aliens, making some goofy gestures as she explained some of their most recent adventures reestablishing other planets. The girl just had this way of connecting with people from all around the universe. It didn't matter how close or far apart they were in every aspect of being. She always managed to find some kind of middle ground which left her with friendly connections wherever she went. Y/N cared. Cared a lot. Keith still couldn't quite understand why.

Why get so attached to every single group of people they meet when their chances of ever seeing them again are near to none? Why was she so willing to enjoy the smallest of things when it was obvious they'd always come to an end? Maybe it was because she hadn't seen the same things he had during his time through the war. Or, maybe, she was well aware of all the awful things that could happen and did her best to take what life had to offer in each and every moment. That was more likely the case. Y/N was smart. She'd at least taught Keith the importance of not holding a grudge because their relationship had rebuilt itself better than he could have ever imagined.

Part of him wanted to be out there with her, standing at her side, learning. He wanted to follow right on her heels wherever she went, wishing he could see the same things she did. Keith just wanted to get inside of her head and understand what she was thinking about.

Part of him wanted to take her hand.

No. No he didn't. What was he thinking?

He groaned and thunked his head against the window. No. This wasn't happening. Y/N was his friend. Why was he thinking like this?

He was just lonely. He finally had someone in his life and he'd let it get to his head.

Y/N had to try really hard to hold back her laughter. Sure enough, like he'd done a few times before, there was Keith, hiding in the bridge of the ship, peeking out the window. Except, today, he was banging his head on the glass with a frustrated expression. That was a new one for Keith, but nothing about the boys odd behaviours really surprised Y/N.

She waved up at him, trying to get his attention. Sure enough, he saw her. His face flushed and he ducked.

Even worse. He'd just made himself look like a total idiot. She knew he was watching for one, and second, she'd just seen him banging his head against a window. Yeah, defender of the universe was a title he really lived up to.

Like some saviour, a distress signal starting blinking on the controls. Curious, Keith pulled it up on a small screen. A planet not far from here was requiring assistance. It was some kind of distress signal he hadn't ever seen before. It was old, at least seemed like it. If it were a new distress signal made recently, it would have had a much farther range.