A Bug In The System

Y/N walked into one of the labs on the Garrison property. Luckily, it was vacant. When Y/N turned on the lights, she nearly jumped out of her skin, finding someone already sitting in the lab. With a racing heart, she was relived to see it was only Pidge, the girl sitting with her feet up on one of the desks, smirking.

"Get a little caught up, did you?" Pidge raised a brow and held up a small device. Y/N walked over and took up the small device. On it, a live-feed playing of the meeting room. Keith was still in there, now on the table, playing some kind of game with Kosmo. Apparently, Pidge had been watching them.

"Pidge, you are relentless." Y/N chuckled and rolled her eyes. "I'm glad you read the note and showed up."

"Yeah, about that," Pidge leaned forward. "I've already got it set up."

From where she sat, Pidge pulled up a tray from beneath the lab table and placed it down in front of Y/N. On it, a small pile of small parts that Y/N wasn't really familiar with. "In theory, all we've got to do is integrate this with his suit. It should be pretty easy. I'm not a fan of the whole needle thing to get the serum right in his bloodstream—but I also know turning it into a gas isn't an option. Cause you know...if he's dead he won't be able to breathe it in."

"Wow, okay," Y/N pat Pidge on the back. "You're really ahead of the game. Yeah, unfortunately the serum only works in the bloodstream."

"Yeah, I was bored. For like, the fifteen minutes it took for you to get here." She snickered. "So, shall we?"

"I say we shall!" Y/N encouraged Pidge and sat down beside her. Pidge really was ahead because Keith's suit was already here in the lab, ready to be worked on. It was amazing watching Pidge work. She was in some other world.

As the pair worked away, Pidge began to take notice to a change in Y/N's behaviour. She was paying very close attention to everything Pidge did and said, taking notes, drawing diagrams. Y/N was acting more like a anxious student rather than someone just trying to keep a friend alive.

Pidge stopped working. She slowly turned her gaze to Y/N and narrowed her eyes. Y/N noticed Pidge had stopped talking and also looked up, meeting the green paladins intimidating gaze. Y/N began to grow a little uncomfortable. "Uh...what?" She asked.

Pidge put a finger on Y/N's notes and dragged them toward herself. "What are you doing? These notes are detailed enough for anyone to follow along."

"What if we need to make a backup?" Y/N asked.

Pidge almost broke out in laughter. "We both know this isn't something where a backup is going to be useful. It'll either work or it wont. And I know you're not thinking into the future already about wanting to make this sort of thing for everyone. There's only one suit this'll be going into."

"...Unless?" Pidge trailed off.

Y/N's hands were shaking. She was breaking down right in front of Pidge. Y/N discard the papers she'd been writing on, shoving them away, and resting her elbows on the table, head crashing into her hands.

"What's the plan, Y/N?" Pidge finally asked. "What are you not telling us?"

Y/N nearly slammed her fist on the table but stopped herself. "While with the Olkari, I learned a lot about different timelines. Falling into the gravity well caused a new branch, the one we're in right now."

"Okay, and?" Pidge asked gently, trying to encourage Y/N to continue.

"I'm the one piece holding this timeline together—i'm the one who caused it. According to the Olkari, if I ceased to exist, things would...reset." Y/N explained. "Everything would play out as it did the first time, even though Honerva got information from me."