Chapter 10

Rick couldn't have been more stumped.
Just then, the traffic light turned green, and the sound of honking jerked him out of his shock.
He quickly drove ahead.
'Your ex? You were married?'
Somewhere, the thought raised feelings in him which he couldn't define.

Serena turned her head to see him looking at her.
'No! Thank God, not!'

The notion which passed through him at that, was something akin to relief, or so he would realise later.
'I see..'

'We almost got married!'
Rick looked at her again.
'But, as luck would have it, I discovered his treacherous plans on time. I thank my lucky stars..'
Her tone was derisive.

'What did he do?'
Rick's voice was calm now. A sudden thought hit him.
'Is he the reason you have such an abysmal outlook about men, especially the wealthy ones?'
Rick was merely curious, but Serena's hackles were suddenly raised.

Realising what Rick was trying to do, she quickly back tracked.
'Can we drop the subject?'
Her tone was firm.
'You are being very personal, and I don't like it!'

'Oh! So now it's personal, when you almost gave the man a heart attack tonight? And that too, in front of me?'
Rick raised an eyebrow.
'He looked like he would collapse under pressure..'

'Well, good! I hope he chokes on his..'
Serena stopped, when she saw the look of shock on Rick's face.
'Look, why don't we end this discussion, and you just hurry up and drop me home?'

Rick understood that the mood she was in, she wouldn't be delving out more information. So, he decided to leave it for now.
'Alright..if you say so..'
He shrugged.

'Good!'
Serena crossed her arms across her chest, in an act of stubbornness.

They drove in silence for a while, both lost in their thoughts.
Rick, wondering about Serena's secrets, and Serena, regretting the whole evening.
Which brought her to the reason she had come tonight. To find out what Rick Malone was up to.

Rick reached her restaurant, which had quietened down now, as dinner time was almost over.
A few diners were leaving, while some still sat on the outer terrace area, enjoying their coffees and the cool sea breeze.

Serena opened the door as soon as Rick stopped the car near her entrance.
'I'll be fine from here..'
She said, stopping him in the act of getting out of the car.
Rick gave her a look, before getting off nevertheless.

'Thankyou for the dinner..'
She told him when he came around to stand in front of her.
'Although, I apologise for the ending..'

'Well, you didn't know how things would turn out. Although, now I understand why you were a bit fidgety after we had entered the restaurant.'
Serena looked at him.
'You could have told me, and I would have changed the venue..'

'Well..I didn't think I'd actually meet the owner..but then..'
She shrugged.
'I should have realised that Rick Malone would be a well known patron..'

'Hmm..'
Rick nodded.
'I'll ask you before going anywhere next time..'

'Next time?'
Serena had been about to say goodbye and leave, but stopped at that.
'Why would you..'

'Because, we didn't get to talk properly..'
Rick watched the breeze blow her hair over her face, and without thinking raised his hand to help.

'About what?'
Serena quickly stepped back a little and tucked her hair behind her ear, startled by what she had guessed to be his intention.
'I mean..I don't think we have anything to talk about..'

'Let me be the judge of that..'
He was watching her closely now, aware of her discomfort.

'You made this plan so I wouldn't put any more blames on you..right?'
Serena's eyes suddenly narrowed, and she saw him give a non-committal shrug.
'You wanted to warm me up, so I could agree to sell you the place by myself this time..'