Chapter 8

Serena couldn't believe her ears.
Although the voice was speaking in a low tone, the accent couldn't be missed. The Italian accent..

'I do all you said, but you no give me my money..'
Chef Mario went on, unaware of her presence.
'Even after she scold me, I mess up orders, made them late, but in a way that she would not find out, so that she lose customers, but you..you don't do your part. From now on, give me the money, or get someone else to do dirty job!'
With that, he cut the call, and cursed some in Italian.

Serena stood there for a minute, too shell-shocked, before she realised that Mario was going to come out towards her.
Adrenalin pumping, she quickly backed away, before he could see her.
The storage room was next to her, and she quickly fumbled for the keys in her pocket. Thankfully, she got them out in the first go. Hands trembling, she pretended to open the door, while privately trying to compose herself from the big shock.

Chef Mario came out, and stopped short on seeing her.
Serena gulped, before acting as if she was surprised to see him there.
'What are you doing here,  Chef?'
She watched him closely, her heart still racing, and noticed him flushing.

'I..I..'
He stammered, before he collected himself too.
'I run out of..oyster sauce..yes..'
He nodded, as if congratulating himself for finding the right lie.
'So, I come to check if your kitchen has..'

'Aah, I see..'
Serena nodded.
'I guess you didn't find what you were looking for..'
She folded her arms in front of her chest, and saw him pale.
'The oyster sauce that is..'

'Sì, sì..you are all out.'
He lifted his hands up in the air.
'I go send someone to market to get..mi scusi..'
With that, he hurried away, mumbling in Italian.

Serena watched him go, before she hurried back into the kitchen.
There was no upending of anything here, as it had been in her office, but a cupboard and drawer had been left ajar. And there was a bottle of oyster sauce right there on the shelf!
Still stunned over the discovery of Chef Mario being the culprit, Serena went and drank some water.
Calming down a little, she was surprised at her own behaviour too.
Why hadn't she called him out the minute she had found out what he had done?
Maybe because thinking about it now, she knew that the only way to find out the why, and who was behind it all, was to keep silent for now. And she had to know what had happened to her papers if Mario hadn't taken them.
Her mind drifted immediately to Rick Malone, but she knew that he would just deny it.
So, judging by Mario's one sided conversation with the master mind, it seemed as if what they wanted to do was, to destroy her business..and eventually, take over the property.
The question was, that if it wasn't Rick, then who else would be after her for the same purpose as he had been.
It looked like she would have to do some detective work on her own...

***************************

The next few days, Serena kept a close eye on Chef Mario.
If he was wary of her behaviour, he didn't show it.
He was a good cook, but obviously not a good person.

She saw him glance at her often, but continued doing his work.
Serena pretended to check up on everyone, so that it wouldn't look suspicious, although some of the staff looked nervous at her constant presence.
She just assured them, that she was checking to maintain the standard of her restaurant.

It was during one such round, that she got a call from Rick Malone.
Surprised to be hearing from him, although not too surprised that he had her phone number, Serena left the main kitchen, but not before she noticed Mario wiping his hands on his apron, watching her.

Unable to hear Rick over the din, she moved to a secluded spot.
'Yeah, sorry! Couldn't hear you..'

'That's okay! I hope I didn't catch you at a bad time..'
His voice was loud in her ear, and she felt a shiver run down her back. It seemed as if he was standing right next to her.