1

I sat at my desk listening to Mrs. Campbell read through the tedious chapter of our English book. I love this woman dearly, but I was never really feeling her class, yet somehow I manage to do well on everything she assigns and ace every test. I flipped through my notebook until I landed on a blank page. I started to doodle here and there as I rest my chin in my hand. Senior year feels like a complete drag, but I'm determined to graduate with perfect grades. Or close to. I felt my phone vibrate through my pocket.

"Okay, you all can read the rest of this chapter on your own for the rest of the period." Mrs. Campbell says. "Don't forget about the assignment at the bottom of the chapter as well."

Most of my classmates began to silently read the chapter to themselves, others well not quite. I pulled my phone from my pocket reading the text message. I let out a breath as I scrolled through my notifications. Nothing too important. I shoved my phone back into my pocket and began to read the chapter as told. Within fifteen minutes I found myself at the front of the room turning in my assignment.

"Jazmine, done already." Mrs. Campbell smiles.

"Yes ma'am." I smiled back.

"If you want to read ahead on the next chapter feel free or you can just hang out until class is over." she winked.

I returned to my seat at the back of the class. I figured I've been able to keep my seat back here since I'm a star student. Most of the time, she liked to move students around. I felt my phone vibrate again and pulled it from my pocket. I smirked as I read the text I received from my best friend, Brandy. The only thing I hated more about this period was the fact that I didn't have anybody to actually talk to. When I heard the bell ring, I instantly grabbed all of my belongings and made my way out of the classroom. I stood at my locker stuffing all of my notebooks into my bag and dug out my car keys before slamming my locker shut. I turned and met face to face with some textbooks.

"Oh!" I hear a voice belt. "I'm so sorry! Are you okay?"

"I'm fine." I say picking up the Algebra and History books. I handed them to the caramel skinned beauty. "Are you alright?"

"I'm sorry." she said. She looked down and quickly grabbed my handbag and handed it to me.

"It's okay." I reassured her.

"I must've been too into my phone and not even paying attention." she shook her head.

"Ah, the cellphone." I laugh. "You know, it's probably better if we walk looking straight forward from now on."

"I think you're right." she giggled. "I'll work on that. Again, I'm so very sorry."

"Stop apologizing." I say. "Shit happens."

"Okay." she said. "Well, I hope you have a good rest of your day.." she held out her hand.

"Jazmine." I politely shake her hand. "And you are?"

"I'm Beyoncé." she smiled. "I'll see you around some time."

"Okay." I nod.

I watched her as she walked away and it was almost as if she faded into the busy crowd in the hallway. I threw my bag over my shoulder and began to head out of the building. I got halfway to my car when I realized that my best friend stood leaning against my car with her nose in her phone. Not once did she look up. I could've been a burglar or worse.

"Lost?" I ask staring at her.

"Hey!" Brandy exclaimed.

She ran up to me and gave me the biggest hug as if she hadn't seen me in weeks. I didn't mind though. I loved her hugs. Brandy and I have been best friends since fifth grade. She's just a year younger than me, but that's never stopped us from being as close as we are. We've never had a fight or even came close to one. Our friendship only got even stronger when our mothers became close in cosmetology school. I wouldn't trade her for the world.