The Vampires of Venice

Lizzie stands under the console, holding tools for the Doctor as he work on the console "Oh, the life out there, it dazzles

Lizzie stands under the console, holding tools for the Doctor as he work on the console "Oh, the life out there, it dazzles. I mean, it blinds you to the things that are important. I've seen it devour relationships and plans. It's meant to do that. Because for one person to have seen all that, to taste the glory and then go back, it will tear you apart. So, I'm sending you somewhere, together." the Doctor tells Amy and Rory, who are stood above them. "Whoa. What, like a date?" Amy asks. "Anywhere you want. Any time you want. One condition. It has to be amazing. The Moulin Rouge in 1890. The first Olympic Games. Think of it as a wedding present, because it's either this or tokens. It's a lot to take in, isn't it? Tiny box, huge room inside. What's that about? Let me explain." the Doctor tells Rory, leading Lizzie up from under the console. "It's another dimension." Rory says. "It's basically another dimension. What?" the Doctor asks. "After what happened with Prisoner Zero, I've been reading up on all the latest scientific theories. FTL travel, parallel universes." Rory explains. "I like the bit when someone says it's bigger on the inside. I always look forward to that." the Doctor pouts. "Well I never got a chance. It's bigger on the inside!" Lizzie grins, the Doctor playfully messing her hair up with a smile. "So, this date. I'm kind of done with running down corridors. What do you think, Rory?" Amy asks. "How about somewhere romantic?" the Doctor suggests, making the Tardis take flight.

Lizzie follows the Doctor out of the Tardis, looking round at the market they've landed in "Venice. Venezia. La Serenissima. Impossible city. Preposterous city. Founded by refugees running from Attila the Hun. It was just a collection of little wooden huts in the middle of the marsh, but became one of the most powerful cities in the world. Constantly being invaded, constantly flooding, constantly just beautiful. Ah, you got to love Venice. So many people did. Byron, Napoleon, Casanova. Ooo, that reminds me. 1580. That's all right. Casanova doesn't get born for a hundred and forty five years. Don't want to run into him. I owe him a chicken." the Doctor says, leading them through the market and checking his watch. "You owe Casanova a chicken?" Rory asks. "Long story. We had a bet." he responds, being stopped by an official. "Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa. Papers, if you please. Proof of residency, current bill of medical inspection." the inspector tells them. The Doctor holds up his psychic paper "There you go, fellow. All to your satisfaction, I think you'll find." he tells him. "I am so sorry, Your Holiness. I didn't realise." the inspector tells him. The Doctor blesses the man, Lizzie hiding a giggle "No worries. You were just doing your job. Sorry, what exactly is your job?" he asks. "Checking for aliens. Visitors from foreign lands what might bring the plague with them." the inspector explains.

"Oh, that's nice. See where you bring me? The plague." Amy tells the Doctor, hitting his arm. "Don't worry, Viscountess. No, we're under quarantine here. No one comes in, no one goes out, and all because of the grace and wisdom of our patron, Signora Rosanna Calvierri." the inspector assures her, motioning to the crest on his book. "How interesting. I heard the plague died out years ago." the Doctor says. "Not out there. No, Signora Calvierri has seen it with her own eyes. Streets are piled high with bodies, she said." the inspector tells them. "Did she now." the Doctor says, beginning to walk off. Lizzie takes the psychic paper back before giggling and passing it to Rory "Er, according to this, I am your eunuch. And Lizzie is the Princess of Leadworth." Rory reads. "Oh yeah. I'll explain later." Amy tells him, following Lizzie and the Doctor.