Chapter 6

Silence.

That was what lasted in the room for several minutes now since they were called to order. The cold air of the briefing room brushed against them—but neither were they bothered. However, the tension was by far—enough to send chills down their spine. Only the slight noises from the monitors that were open were audible, they didn't dare breathe so casually.

They were waiting for one more member attendant of the briefing before they begin the agenda mentioned—that is, an agenda that only a handful knew, and others do not.

Among those who knew—agent Bakar, was restless. He refused to converse, nor make eye-contact with anyone. He remained in unnatural silence, eyes blank as he stared at the wall with crossed arms.

The act made Agent Leon and Agent Geetha look at each other with concern before glancing back at the silent kombat agent—whose demeanor seemed way off compared to his usual behavior.

But of course, they couldn't disregard the idea—something's wrong.

The double metallic doors slid open soon after, the whir from the breeze made the constituents of the room to pause and gaze at the figure standing—Agent Rizwan.

It was unnatural for the agent to arrive at such manner, being late for several moments. It was very much uncharacteristically unlike him. However, they were in no place to question, seeing as the tension that subconsciously arose from the room now thickened.

The man in monochrome still had his sweet treat pursed between his lips, a gesture he long had to keep his composure better. His eyes met with the others who were in the room—Agent Leon, Agent Geetha, Agent Karya, and Agent Bakar. He long noticed the bulky man's behavior but chose not to question it.

He already has a brief idea of what's going on.

"Pardon my tardiness, General. I had some agendas in need of attending." He formally spoke, head slightly lowered.

The General didn't seemed upset, nor is he going to comment on the agent's unusual tardiness. His eyes looked empty, as if he had things in mind that disabled him from functioning like he used to.

The agents in the room were at par when it comes to keenness in detail, and this detail escaped not their line of thought. Again, they dared not comment on that fact.

"Excused, All here?" he excused Agent Rizwan's tardiness and addressed everyone in the room, eyeing each and every one of them to ensure that everyone required is present. The tension in the room was vivid and gloomy, with some of the agents eyeing each other, certain that something was definitely wrong.

"All here, General." Agent Karya spoke up, seeing that the tension will render everyone in silence for some time. As an Inviso agent, he knows how to read the scenario.

What he read is something he didn't like.

"I'm certain you're all aware of the occurrence with a certain Numeroz base, I've released a report about it." the General began, pausing to see how the rest will react. He himself is unsure of what to say, especially not after what he saw.