0

(A/N: Advance sorry for the grammatical errors and misspelled words ahead. Happy reading!)

–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

I stopped what I was doing when my phone rang. It was my friend, Rachel.

“This is Celeste Martinez speaking.”

“It’s me, Rachel.” 

“Oh, Rachel. Napatawag ka?” I asked.

She sighed before answering. “In case you forgot, which you shouldn’t since I’ve been reminding you for the last seven years, It’s his seventh death anniversary today.” She said. I didn’t answer.

“I was wondering if finally, this time, you’ll come with us to visit him.” She said. “Please. Kahit ngayon lang. Let go of your petty feelings and come with us—“

“I’m not coming.” I cut her sentence off. Immediately, I can feel the disappointment in her sigh.

“Seriously, Celeste? Ganiyan ka pa rin hanggang ngayon?”

“I really can’t. I have lots of meeting today. My schedule is full. I’m busy.” I said, ignoring her complaints. I can already feel her rising anger even if we’re just talking on the phone.

“For god’s sake, Celeste. We all know why you’re not going. I already asked Tito Paul because I know you’ll use that excuse again. You’ve been using that excuse for 7 years now. You’re not busy. You’re just ‘pretending’ to be busy.” She said angrily, emphasizing the word pretending. I massaged my temple.

“I don’t know what dad told you, but I really am busy today. There’s just so much work to do. I can’t  just leave the company for personal reasons. It's unfair for my employees.” I tried making me excuses again. I heard her breathe deeply, as if she’s trying to calm herself.

“Are you seriously going to be like this? Really? You don’t even have at least a few minutes to visit his grave? Even just one minute? Because for god’s sake, that’s the least that you could do to thank him for saving your life!” She finally blew up.    “Please, Celeste. I’m begging you. Kahit ilang minuto lang. Hindi naman siguro malulugi ang company niyo kung mawawala ka ng ilang minuto di’ ba? Please, Celeste..” the desperation in her voice was evident.

“No.” I said firmly.

“What?”

“I never asked him to save me, so why should I thank him?”

“Are you serious right now?” She was dumfounded.

“I hate him, Rachel, and you already know that. We were enemies, before and even now. So I don’t know why every year, you keep on asking me the same thing as if something would change. I hate him. I hate him so much that even if he was alive right now, I would still hate him. Until the day I die, I will never visit his grave.” I said with a cold voice. “Unless my hate magically went away, which would never happen, then maybe I’ll think about visiting him.” I chuckled.

She hang up the call. I’m sure she must be livid right now. I can’t blame her. I was rude.

The conversation lingered on my mind for a while until I snapped out of it and continued working.