one, cesar awards

"<And the César Award for most promising actress goes to Juliette Laurent!>"

The audience clapped, and the orchestra played a pretty tune that sounded like what Juliette looked like in Girl. Her role as Lara's supportive best friend, Anais, in the 2018 Belgian film was what earned her this award.

So the 2018 Juliette, wearing a custom YSL dress, made her way onto the stage, a smile on her face, and accepted the award from the host, turning to the mic and reciting her speech.

"<Thank you so much. This is truly an honor. I want to thank the Academy. I want to thank, ah, so many people. Victor, my lovely costar, who is here tonight. You deserve the world, I'm so glad I met you. I want to thank Angelo, Arieh, Tijmen, Sophie... oh! Oliver, my sweet baby, you too. Making this film with all of you was so, so amazing and I am so grateful for everything that has happened because of it. A big thank you to Lukas Dhont, our director. You made this all possible, I will miss working with you. Thank you to everyone who supported this film, thank you to Cannes, who will share a part in introducing Girl to everyone.

"Finally, I would like to thank my family. My Mama and Papa... I love you,>" She had begun crying by this point. "<You support my dreams and you always have. I will forever be grateful for you. And to my brother, Alexandre, who is my biggest supporter. Once again, I am so grateful to be here and be a part of a film that means so much to so many kids who don't have an Anais to support them. We are here to support those kids. Thank you.>"

"And the crowd goes wild," Timothée's dad said, gesturing to the TV with a smile on his face. "I'm so proud of her."

"Amazing. I knew she was acting but we barely talk to Eva and Pierre anymore," His mom pointed out, shaking her head slightly as she finished up cooking lunch for her and the two men.

"And when were you going to tell me that she's acting?" Timothée questioned as he stared at the TV with unseeing eyes.

The parents went silent for a moment, giving each other a look before his dad, who was sitting beside him, patted his back. "Eva hasn't talked to us in a while and we didn't find out why until a long time later. And we didn't think you would want to know. After all, it's been so long. We honestly didn't even know if you remembered going to their place, you were so young."

"The last time I saw her I was 12. I think I can remember things from when I was 12," There was a hint of resentment in his voice, but he knew he wasn't truly mad at his parents, but himself. He hated that he had only just found out she was in the industry. He felt that he had failed her by not staying in touch. "I'm sorry. I don't- I just feel bad."

His parents nodded in understanding and his mom sent him a sad smile. Finally, his dad got up, helping his mom set the table for lunch.

Timothée stayed, staring at the TV for a moment longer, staring as Juliette smiled brightly, until he decidedly had enough and shut off the screen, standing up suddenly and heading to the dining table.

Juliette was happy. She had been happy for some time now. Or at least she said she was happy.

She was excited by her success but she was also incredibly scared of what was to come. She didn't know if she was ready for paparazzi and people prying into every corner of her life. And now she was overthinking even more, considering it had been almost a year since Girl debuted at Cannes and her and Timothée still hadn't talked.

She had always blamed it on him but then again, she could have initiated it any time she wanted. She knew, deep down, that the both of them were just overthinking the whole thing, but that didn't stop her from continuing to overthink.

Eventually she gave up and accepted that she and Timothée were not likely to work up the courage to talk to each other any time soon.

By 2020, it was easier to not think of him. She had been in multiple successful French films and was now easing her way into mainstream English media. Her big break in the English-speaking world came with her playing one of the victims in Spree and the clips of her in Miss Americana, as she had been friends with Taylor for some time.

Also in 2020, she won her first Oscar. Best Actress in a supporting role, for Marriage Story.

Then it happened. On December 24th, 2020, in the great city of Boston. On the set of Don't Look Up.

"Hey, Jen. I got us- oh, bloody hell," Juliette knocked into someone and nearly dropped one of the coffee cups she was holding. She gasped before looking up and locking eyes with the one person who crossed her mind at least once a day. "Timothée."

They just stared at each other for a moment. "Juliette," Timothée finally responded. "Hi."

She snapped out of it and her eyes nervously darted anywhere besides his face. "Hi, uh- fuck, I'm so sorry about all this. I'm just knackered and not thinking straight at all-"

"Jules, it's fine. I'm just happy to see you," He said, which made her finally look back up at him, a smile on his face.

She smiled as well. "Are we having a meet-cute?"

He laughed, and oh, how Juliette had missed it. The sound made her heart warm.

"But we've already met?"

"We can't let that stop us," She grinned. "Alright, let me give these to Jen. Come with me, I want to talk."

He couldn't help but grin and follow her. They were currently on a closed down street in Boston, preparing to film scenes of people finally realizing the comet was real. It was nearing the evening and it was there last day of filming before they got a two week holiday. She chatted with Jennifer, who was going over lines, for a moment before turning to Timothée.

"Oh, Timmy, I didn't even see you there. Do you and Juliette know each other?" Jennifer asked as she sipped her coffee, hairstylists perfecting her wig around her.

The two in question looked at each other for a moment before looking back down at Jennifer. "Yeah, you could say that," Timothée laughed a bit. "We, uh, were childhood friends."

At the questioning look from the now red-haired woman in front of her, Juliette elaborated. "I grew up in northern France and Timothée's family knows mine, so they used to visit us during holidays and such."

Jennifer nodded in understanding and the three chatted for a few more minutes before they were all called to actually start filming.

A few hours later, they were done. Everyone on set said a temporary goodbye to one another and Juliette packed away her things. Timmy saw her and approached cautiously. He didn't want to seem to forward, considering they hadn't seen each other in 12 years. But at the same time, he couldn't help himself. She was truly the most beautiful person Timothée had ever known and every time he saw her, he almost went into a trance. He felt it as sort of an admiration when they were kids, but now? He knew it was more than that. He just didn't know how to say it.

"Hi, Jules," He said, making her jump a bit.

"Oh god, hi."

He laughed. "Where are you going for the break?"

"Oh, I've actually just ordered an Uber to the train. I'm taking the Amtrack down to New York," She said hurriedly as she put her last few things into her bag and slung it over her shoulder. "But, I'm late."

He grinned. "Mind if I join you?"