prologue

A small girl who lived in a big house just down the road from the edge of Bayeux smiled at the Pontiac Aztek pulling into the driveway of her family's home. She had small white bows tied around her two braids and was wearing a pink and white plaid dress and a pair of black maryjanes on her tiny feet, which matched her hair.

"Julie. Il n'a que huit ans et est déjà un très bon hôte. Recule, mon amour, ce n'est pas à toi de rendre leur séjour agréable," Her mother came from behind and told her to stand back for a moment in her soft French.

"But, mama, I want to say hi."

"You will in a moment, I promise. But first, get your shoes off my couch."

Juliette rolled her eyes and jumped down from where she was perched on the couch, watching the family arrive. She flopped into one of the chairs in the dining room and folded her arms on the table, placing her chin on the back of her forearms.

The cool summers in Normandie were perfect for little Juliette. She never understood why people liked hot weather, she much preferred the rain. She liked the quiet of the French countryside.

The family in the driveway exited their car as Juliette's father came down the stairs, kissed her on the top of her head, and went to the door, Juliette's little brother in his arms.

Juliette went to the door as well, watching as her mother hugged the woman who had just come out of the car, kissing both of her cheeks elegantly. Her father approached the man who came out of the driver's side, hugging him cheerfully and patting his back in the way that men do.

The two men began speaking in French, laughing with each other while the women greeted each other's respective spouses. Juliette finally exited the house, a polite smile on her face as she greeted the parents and exchanged light banter in Italian with her brother, who was now standing next to her.

That was until she caught sight of the other kids. The girl was considerably older than her, maybe in her mid-teens. The boy, however, looked to be about her age or slightly older.

He caught her eyes and wandered over to her, a smile on his face as well.

"Bonjour," he nodded politely.

"Bonjour, je suis Juliette. Quel est ton nom?" She replied, studying his facial features intently.

He hesitated for a moment, nervous under her scrutinizing stare. "Je m'appelle Timothée."

She smiled.