20. A Few Early Days

It was the times when the rumours were flying all over the castle, that the Black Dragon would be 'bought in' today. The framing of sentence, the way everyone said he'll be bought in, instead of coming, especially made the three kids uneasy.

"Bought in?" Jace questioned, glancing over to Prae with his wide, hopeful eyes, shaking his head to move the hair out of his face. 

Prae shrugged, craning his neck to look around, but there was still no sign of anyone new entering the castle gates.

The three sat murmuring quietly among themselves until chaos broke loose. Every student ran to the castle's gate to look at the carriage that had bought the dragon inside of it.

Along with others, Jace, Prae, and Eros, too, made their way to the very front of the crowd.

It was a child of no more than 15 years old. But what raised the murmurings among everyone was the way he was presented in front of them.

A cloth covering his eyes, mouth enclosed inside a muzzle, hands chained together, and so were his ankles. He walked with heavy steps, only after being pushed to take every step inside, that too, against his will.

Even though the black dragon could see nothing, he still picked up the incomprehensible sounds buzzing around his ears.

The three gave each other a look after scanning the dragon's thin and obviously neglected-of-care body. It wasn't as they had expected. People had expected the black dragon's entry to be grand and impactful, but rather, it seemed like a prisoner being bought in.

"Thank you for bringing him." It was the master thanking the man who held the dragon's restraints. The man handed her the restraints and bowed his head.

"It's my work," said the hunter before turning back and walking away.

The master glanced at the dragon, who showed no interest in looking around or even seeing where he was going. The boy only went the way his restraints were pulled. Without a thought of his own.

The three saw master walk in the opposite direction than the dormitories, and Eros couldn't help but run up to the master to satisfy his curiosity.

"Master, the dormitories are that way," He pointed to the other side of the hallway, and the master only smiled, running a hand through his hair once.

"I know, Eros." She kept walking in the same direction, and Eros pulled the other two with him so that they could follow her to see where the dragon was being kept.

If it wasn't for Eros and Prae pressing their hands over Jace's mouth when he was about to let out a loud gasp, they would've gotten caught.

The three watched with wide eyes as the dragon was taken inside the punishment cell of the castle and chained to the wall.

"What the hell is going on?" Prae mumbled, looking at the master as she conjured a vessel of water and some fruits to keep them beside the dragon, who was still deprived of his eyesight.

"Eat them and behave." Master ordered before she turned to step out of the cell. She locked the cell, and the three immediately scurried out of the place.

It was weird. People were still mumbling all around the castle about the black dragon, but no one cared enough to check on the dragon who was writhing in his own agony.

Prae, Jace, and Eros sat at their usual place, by the pond. And like others, they too were talking about the black dragon, but not spreading rumors about him. The three discussed how they were going to meet the dragon at night.

"Are you sure about it?" Jace questioned, lips providing in a pout.

"We should check on him.. it.. doesn't really settle with me that the Black Dragon is confined like this.." Prae muttered in deep thought.