23 - Sosan

The sleep was peaceful. Waqas didn't return to haunt her, rather she dreamt of those juicy pomegranates, she almost smelt the sweet buoyant fragrance in her dreams, mirroring her pleasant day.

Again, she stood in the open plane of fields, the sun gently kissed her cheeks and comfortingly warmed her through like a coddling hug, allowing her to twist in the bouncy cocoon of her bed. She dreamt of Murtasim capturing her for the second time on his chunky camera, focusing the lens on her as if she was the centre of the universe.

She squinted as the glowing afternoon sun peeked out from behind the photographer's head. That caused him to lower the camera to urge, 'Ankhein kholo Meero.' He guided her through the metallic clicks as they rang in quick succession. (Open your eyes meero)

'Dhoop tez hai Murtasim,' she whined, his muse was fussy. On that cue, his hand came out, slowly waving in the air until the shadow of his hand shaded her face from the harsh sun. But still, she shook her head. (Sun is too bright Murtasim.)

'Fir tasveer mei tumhari ankhein band hongi. Noori tumpe hasegi,' he warned - the biggest threat. (Then your eyes will be closed in the pictures and Noori will make fun of you.)

She flickered her hair back, the tendrils of baby hairs dancing in the breeze, taunting her face with miniscule tickles. 'Hasne do. Meri bass ho gayi hai,' she announced, she was retiring for the day. (Let her, I am done with this now.)

His camera lowered between then, unhindering the view of his face. 'Mere khaatir. Please,' he pleaded, his eyes brows slanting at the request. His voice was just slightly muffled from breeze, slightly cool, pinching at the curve of their ears and the tip of their fingers. (For me, please.)

In response to his humble request, she crossed her arm like she was unamused. 'Pata nahi tumhein picture kheenchne ka itna shauk kyun hai?,' she questioned out loud, unsure whether to continue playing along. (I don't why you like to click so many pictures?)

It seemed like he was adamant in getting a good picture, and he began approaching to convince her.

Her curiosity piqued, trying to decipher him. 'Shayad picture kheenchne se pyar hai,' she asked, the camera hanging from the strap around his neck as he neared. He shook his head as that was the incorrect answer. (I think you like to take pictures.)

'Kis cheez se hai. Wildlife se?,' she asked, her eyebrows knitted in confusion, unable to find the root of his incessant need for a print worthy photograph. (Then what, wildlife?)

'Nahi,' he breathed, stepping closer. Closer than he ever had been, so close that she could see the perfect curl of his moustache, the barley visible freckles scattered around his nose, the warm amber flecks in his swirling iris'. (No)

She glanced up at him, her doe eyes fluttering from the bright light, rendering her unable to hold his investigative gaze. 'Camera say?' She asked, her voice laced in a piqued curiosity. (With camera then?)

The camera didn't do her justice, he figured. It fell short in being able to catch her bewitching angelic aura, the dewy glow to her face, the glint of innocence in her alluring eyes.

He shook his head, heart thumping lightly at the truth spilling over- she was getting closer to the truth, unravelling him.

'Fir Murtasim? Hummay bhi raaz bataein....' She implored, unable to hold back. (Then what Murtasim? Tell me your secret.....)

His presence was welcome, a hefty shield against the open elements, a sturdy umbrella against the worries that hailed upon her.

In direct comparison to his rigid stature, his head slowly titled in response and lowered, the cool tip of his nose trailed her cheek, lifting until his soft silky lips grazed her cheek.